AMD-K6®-2, Athlon, or Duron JPEG Display Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD-K6®-2, Athlon, or Duron JPEG Display Problem

Is the guy on drugs or is this for real!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

It's for real ... a know issue for some years now !
    But no one knows how many CPU's got this thing.
    AMD is not saying anything, they just replace affected CPU's.

Is it a serious thing then ? I doubt it.
    Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
    incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Is it a serious thing then ? I doubt it.
      Yeah probably not as serious as the calculation bug in the Intel Pentium CPUs.

Joel

BTW I have probably worked with at least 6 different AMD CPUs personally at home and all the ones where I work and I have yet to see this problem or hear anyone complain about it.
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I haven't seen it yet. The Intel bug was also something that 99.99% of users wouldn't see either though to be fair.
        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Uhm, seems to only affect Microsoft Products according to their list, I wonder why?
          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Well, that leaves good ol' Cyrix as the only one who did not fuxor anything.
            Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by impact
              Well, that leaves good ol' Cyrix as the only one who did not fuxor anything.
              They did not **** something up????

The cyrix chip is a **** up!
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

And with those two or three Cyrix chips that actually found a buyer there's simply a too small user-base to discover such bugs. Besides a user that got himself a Cyrix on intention most probably wouldn't notice this bug anyway...
                But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                My System
                2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                German ATI-forum

Comment

Just came across this page:

There's a program that will check your AMD cpu for the JPEG issue. Mine's clean

AMD räumte bereits ein, dass "eine Handvoll" CPUs fehlerhaft durchgeschlüpft ist. c't hat die Fehlerquelle aufgespürt und ein Testprogramm entwickelt.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

man, I wish I could speak German!
                    thanks for that link Wombat.

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
                      man, I wish I could speak German!
                      thanks for that link Wombat.

pmultest V1.0 c.t/Andreas quiet pmultest.exe pmultest.txt if a small Windows Konsolprogramm, which the MMX multiplication - more exact the three instruction pmullw, pmulhw, is pmultest, pmulhuw(nicht with the K6-xx) - checks. Errors with MMX calculations cause usually not to crashes, but pixel errors at software, which uses MMX. That is in particular the Internet Exporer when the announcement JPEG pictures or Steaming software with MPEG videos. AMD granted, which " a handful " incorrect AMD processors slipped through with the Enddtest. The MMX error appears here as " speedpath " usually only sporadically so mentioned. With pmultest one can check now many million multiplications for correctness. Even if the program announces only one error, the processor is not 100 percent correct and one should contact the processor manufacturer. Default-moderately pmultest 10 million test with in each case four 16-Bit-Multiplikationen von Zufallszahlen out and checks the result leads with the help of a MMX simulation in C, which uses the normal Integereinheit. With pmultest xxxx yyyy rrrr one also xxxx test can execute let, with xxxx between 1..4294967295 or 0 (= 4294967296). yyyy determines, after many tests an error status to be in each case output is. And whom the 4 billion runs are not sufficient, that can determine as the third parameter (rrrr) still the number of the repetitions of the entire test run (with accumulated error counters up to 32 bits the overflow) the output is in consideration of international users in English held. Andreas of quiet Aug.01

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Working...
                      X