• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul,

chuck

Originally posted by Laurie
    NIC MAC paddywac give the dog a bone???
    IYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee.............!!! !!!!
    Last edited by cjolley; 13 July 2001, 14:29.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Holy Smokes!!!!

I'm seriously Network acronym challenged.
      That simple web based installation page is all GEEK to me...LOL

Joel did you look at that link??? Is the SOHO installation that involved???

Paul
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Geez Paul,
        You dont have to do any of that stuff.
        Just set your tcp/ip on your computer to DHCP
        and plug in the wires.
        That's all it realy take to get going.
        chuck
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

OK Chuck that sounds much better

Paul
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

You have to laugh really. I'm not connected yet. Partly due to time constraints, but mainly because of what happened after the NTL engineer shouted "Oh Shit...water!"

You've guessed it - he doesn't know one end of his pipe checker from his a*se. At least the water from my heating system all went harmlessly into the wall cavity and didn't do any damage, apart from the plaster board he had to remove to expose the pipe and repair it. I'm still grappling with airlocks and looking at having to back-fill some radiators. NTL-guys Dad is a heating engineer so he's involved now too!

Is it true there's no way he can hook me up for extra channels as compensation? LOL.

Tony.

PS thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll get brave and try tonight.
            FT.

Comment

Its all up and running!

Finally got it all going late last night. Had to install the modem on its own first. It was looking like it wasn't working, then I found it would work on some sites and not others (inc. murc & work email), until NTL suggested a specific proxy server. I got download speeds from TUCOWS of ~70K/sec (ironically downloading ZoneAlarm).

Once happy with that I tried the router. This was reasonably straightforward - it just took a few minutes to realise I needed to spoof the mac address. It was then 11:30 last night. Still needed to specify the proxy, and TUCOWS was down lo ~45k/sec, which I'm hoping was just a coincidence and will check tonight. The router stats reported zero errors.

I haven't tried anything more fancy yet like Netmeeting or gaming, tonight maybe. It sure is nice to have the option of working from home occasionally now.

Cheers

Tony.
              FT.

Comment

I have Netgear RT314 set up at my house, and overall, I like it!

However, the setup is quite confusing of how to make computers behind the router to be visible to the Internet.

I changed the route table, filter option, but still I cannot connect to my FTP server on my computer from outside.

Can someone explain it to me in detail of how to run Web/FTP server behind the router?

TIA
                OCP Certified Oracle 8i DBA.

Epox K8HA+ w/ AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 512 MB SamSung DDR 2100, 2 X IBM 40G 7200 rpm HD, Soundblaster Live! Audigy MP3+, Matrox Parhelia-512 128MB, Pioneer 16X DVD-ROM, Plextor 16X10X40 CD-RW, SamSung 900NF monitor, Lian-Li Aluminum PC Case.

Comment

Well, I'm up and running, maybe a few more minor things to tweak.

The @home techs came in and setup my system connecting the modem directly to the NIC. They told me to use 'mail' and 'mail' POP3 for incomming and outgoing mail servers.

That worked great until I got the router setup....LOL

Thanks to Joel and a few others I learned I needed the DNS address of the mail server in my area to make it work behind the router. So, that was fairly easy - had to set the NIC up the way it was when directly connected to the modem. Then in a DOS window ping mail, get the IP address. Then ping -a xx.xxx.xx.x and get the DNS address.

So, now the only things I need to figure out are an easy way to recieve files through ICQ without having to put myself in the DMZ.

And how to configure WS_ftp to get all my web page files and images from my soon to be old ISP (AT&T)

I just love Network stuff.....NOT!!!!!
                  .....LOL

Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X