Big IBM drive PROBLEM!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
    if anyone's interested with help in diagnosing IBM hdds noises the have a look & listen here!
    Nope - none of those noises here! Listening again, I had the three sscccrreeessssccchhh es then repeat as bacon described.

After leaving the DFT running all day, the drive's back and running again with no problems. I'll see how it goes (with all important stuff backed up!) and if it dies again, then it's going back.

(Thanks god it wasn't my 10Gb IBM D: Drive - THAT's the one with all my important stuff on!)

Comment

"skkckkckkkkrreech, clunk, whirr {repeat}"
      Sounds like something Bjork would make into a song... You know, just before the disconnected-from-reality communist filmmaker has her hanged in a completely unrealistic scenario which he tries to make into a scathing indictment of Americans and their barbaric death penalty. (You remember that don't you? Americans only put to death sweet, poor, innocent blind girls, never the vicious animals who murder the sweet innocent people /sarcasm) In Europe, where it is much more civilized, they let the animals out after 4 years of prison (4 years.. isn't that like college?) where they have honed their crime skills so that now they can go kill some more innocent people, and not get caught this time.

Comment

Sorry about being off topic, and posting while pissed off, after seeing the film Dancer in the Dark by Lars von Trier. That wasn't meant to offend Europeans in general, only Lars von Trier and those who believe his depiction comes anywhere close to reality. I do have the courage of my convictions, however, and won't edit the post (as some have done). I will start a new thread in TSB for replies if you want to have a nice flame war about this in the appropriate place.

Ahem.. back to hard drives (thank God.. I checked and my 75GXP was made in Hungary.. go Europeans!)

Last edited by KvHagedorn; 30 July 2001, 12:03.

Comment

KvH

im not quite sure what Dancer in the dark is about, but if its about communism vs. capitalism, i would think that most european countrys are rather capitalists than communists, only thing thats different from the americans is death penalty and our attitude towards saving the planet

Comment

The IBM 60GXP seems to be a good improvement on the 75GXP. They cleaned up the technology a bit. Quieter, lower power, lower heat, and hopefully even more reliable.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
              The IBM 60GXP seems to be a good improvement on the 75GXP. They cleaned up the technology a bit. Quieter, lower power, lower heat, and hopefully even more reliable.
              The "even more reliable" hopefully being the key-words... I would NOT call the 75GXP very reliable drives with all those reports of failed ones out there on the net - kinda scary, like Quantum was a few years ago...
              But we named the *dog* Indiana...
              My System
              2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
              German ATI-forum

Comment

I don't know that they fail all that much. Everytime I see actual reliablilty numbers, they seem quite good. Sure, some drives fail, that's true for any model or manufacturer. But I bet volume wise, there's a whole slew of 75GXP's out there.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Whenever you get them funny noises the first thing you should do is to ensure that the power connector is on properly as well as the cable. I got a clucking sound on my 20 GB Maxtor shortly after I got it in September. I was horrified that my brand new drive was bad. I rebooted several times with no improvement. Something told me to check my connections and sure enough something was loose. I tightened the connections and voilá no more funny sounds ever.
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
                    At work I've rolled out around 40-50 workstations all containing 75GXP's of various sizes (20GB-75GB).
                    I have seen one single failure when the machine in question decided to take a trip down some stairs.

I have 4x 60GB 60GXP's at home and one failed after only a months use.
                    You are always going to hear reports of failures and when the product in question is as popular and widespread as the IBM 75GXP's of course you're going to get more reports.

It's a bit like saying "You always get faults with Ford, but as for you're Ferrari, you don't"
                    Which may or may not be true, but when the Fords out-number the Ferrari's 1000 to 1 or course there will be more Ford faults reported than Ferrari ones.
                    It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                    Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Working...
                    X