Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game controller question...

Hello,

I am considering the purchase of a game controller (not that I am such a hardcore gamer, I just think it might be more comfortable), but it should be something all-round (I like 3rd person shooters, driving games, flightsimulators, 1st persons, ...). Initially, I thought of a dual analog gamepad (either Gravis or Logitech ), and any comments on any of these or other similar gamepads are welcome (the rumble-effects are not very important to me) !

Then I saw the Mad Catz Panther XL, which is basically a joystick combined with a trackball. It looks "interesting" , but quite big.

Currently however, I am using a trackball (with my left hand !) for my regular everyday use (Kensington Expert Mouse 5, on a PS2 port, large ball, 4 buttons). The Kensington software allows the user to define each of the for keys to any mouse-key or keyboard-key (even seqences), which is a per application preset. For gaming, i currently combine this trackball with a regular keyboard; the trackball performs very well in this situation (ideal for looking, aiming or directing).

Now, is it possible to combine the use of this trackball with a regular joystick, to "mimic" the behaviour of the Panther XL ? Or does choosing the joystick eliminate the ability to use the mouse ? Would all games allow this ?

Could someone with a regular joystick please check to see if it can be used in conjuntion to a mouse ?

Thanks !!!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I've never come across that. You usually use a mouse in conjunction with a keyboard, and sometimes you can use multiple controllers in a 2-player game ( I once had my MS ForceFeedback stick and Guillemot FF Wheel doing 2-player driving games, but the G400 wasn't up to it speed wise). I guess Joysticks are usually considered 2-handed devices - one for the stick and one for all the buttons on the base, or a completely separate throttle (Gravis CH something).

Tony.
    FT.

Comment

I guess Joysticks are usually considered 2-I guess Joysticks are usually considered 2-handed devices - one for the stick and one for all the buttons on the base, or a completely separate throttle (Gravis CH something).handed devices - one for
      Yes, but there are some models that do allow one to use but one hand. Besides, I wouldn't mind not having access to certain joystick-buttons if I could use my trackball as an addition...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

I have a Logitech Rumble pad, and I'm very satisfied with it. I got it for 1/2 the price of myt Logitech Joystick and I find it waaaay more useful.

It's rumble function is great. Better range than PS's and N64's on/off rumbling. But since it's only rumbling, you won't get resistance force feedback like you would with a force feedback joystick.

I've played Crimson Skies, NHL2k1 and N64 games (through emulators) and it works perfect. The throttle controll, although kinda cheap-feeling does it's job fine. The thumb-sticks have much more range and accuracy than you would think.

The feel of the controller is decent. Although it doesn't fit absolutely perfect, like a glove, but it's comfortable enough that you could play with it for hours. Never a pain, all the controlls fall easily into reach.

This controller has value. It doesn't do everything perfect, but it does them all pretty good. and it's damn cheap.
        Primary system specs:
        Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

I have a Logitech Rumble pad, and I'm very satisfied with it. I got it for 1/2 the price of myt Logitech Joystick and I find it waaaay more useful.
          Could you perhaps test to see if it is possible to use it in conjuction with a mouse ? I know it is quite useless for a gamepad , but if a gamepad can be combined with a mouse, I'm pretty sure a joystick can as well...

Thanks !

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Working...
          X