No announcement yet.

Radeon 8500 Revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wont be looking for a new graphics card until next year but it seems that whan I do, I will have some very promising options.
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
      Xortam: why HD content? btw. Any idea where I can find such contents and player for it?

I don't think HD stuff will come to the consumer market (in optical disk form, FMD) for some time still, so isn't this a bit of a off-topic question?
      Currently, I'm interested in satellite delivered HD content. The HiPix card is capable of capture and playback of OTA HDTV. I was hoping to capture HD content from my BUD system but the new 5C copy protection scheme will prevent this from happening on any encrypted streams.

AFA CPU usage goes, the more tasks that I can efficiently off-load from my CPU the better my system will handle multi-tasking and allow smooth response from all of my apps.
      Last edited by xortam; 16 August 2001, 08:22.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I think most people criticizing ATI for the current preview card's performance realize that it's a beta board on beta drivers.

Personally I'm not saying that they can't improve the card and the drivers by release. I'm just skeptical. This is nearly the exact same situation that occured with the original Radeon DDR. Remember that the DDR slightly beat the (then current) GeForce 2 GTS during previews of it. People were saying that by release the drivers and card should have been improved enough to show it killing the GTS. It didn't happen. The drivers ATI bundled with shipping cards su.. er, stank. The hardware itself was awesome, but drivers held it back forever. By the time good drivers for it were out (okay, make that acceptable, not sure if they ever made GOOD drivers), the GF2Pro/GF2Ultras were out, and the point was moot.

I won't be buying an 8500 now anyway, since I already have the GF3. But if I was considering a video card upgrade in the next 3 months, I'd have to wait to see how ATI actually executes before laying my money on the table for either the 8500 or the GF3..

(The hardware looks impressive enough, for sure..)
        "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
        Gainward Ti4600
        AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
          I think most people criticizing ATI for the current preview card's performance realize that it's a beta board on beta drivers.

Personally I'm not saying that they can't improve the card and the drivers by release. I'm just skeptical. This is nearly the exact same situation that occured with the original Rage 128. Remember that it then slightly beat the (then current) TNT 1 during previews of it. People were saying that by release the drivers and card should have been improved enough to show it killing the TNT 1. It didn't happen. The drivers ATI bundled with shipping cards su.. er, stank. The hardware itself was awesome, but drivers held it back forever. By the time good drivers for it were out (okay, make that acceptable, not sure if they ever made GOOD drivers), the Geforce 1/2 were out, and the point was moot.
          C:\DOS
          C:\DOS\RUN
          \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

if they give me a AIW 8500 that is not clocked slower than the standard 8500, i shall buy it.

this card comes out just at the right time, i was planning to get a new pc somethime in october

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
              I won't be buying an 8500 now anyway, since I already have the GF3. But if I was considering a video card upgrade in the next 3 months, I'd have to wait to see how ATI actually executes before laying my money on the table for either the 8500 or the GF3..
              errm ... why do you want to upgrade from a GF3 ?
              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
              LG BH10LS38
              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

anyone know something about a radeon 8500 AIW?? searched the ati page and didnt find anything. tried to contact ati, but i dont think there is any possibility to contact them via e-mail (i didnt find one).
                they dont seem to have a forum, either.

i sure hope they will release an all in wonder, i hate it when manufacturers think that people either want performance OR things like dual head, tv, video etc.

ati is on the right way though, and i hope matrox is, too

Comment

Hey Maggi... he meant if he didn't have a GF3 and was looking to upgrade within the next three months...
                  AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                  AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                  Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                  Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

when

anyone have any ideas about when the 8500 will be released?
                    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

borat,

According to the ATI press release , late September for the new Radeons.

Comment

Rage3d has some good looking Radeon8500 pictures online.
                        See :

Hati

Comment

Originally posted by [GDI]Raptor

ATI will outpreform Matrox in every category exept 2D speed, and quality, but ATI's 2D speed and quality is almost as good as Matrox's, and with the superior 3D speed of the Radeon compared to Matrox Gxxx OEM's will chose ATI over Matrox

Raptor...well, it seems you can teach me something.

I do not understand why OEM's do not install the best Oxygen's video cards into their PC, as seen that Oxygen's have a 2d as good as Matrox and ultra powerful 3D.
                          Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Thats easy: because Oxygen cards cost over $1000 (I *think*). I know they ain't cheap.

Bart
                            Bart

Comment

A bit like G550 costing less than half the price of Radeon 2?
                              Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Its great to see that ATi still has a product cycle and that maybe they can come through with a kick butt product. I have Radeon 32 LE all hopped up and that card is a nice product for the 70.00 I paid or it. I myself welcome any new performance based Video card these days. The new Nvidia card (not the Ultra) is gong to be 3 times faster that the GF3. (Not my information) I can still not run Nascar4 full boat with a GF3 and a 1300 CPU with 512 RAM. I always welcome more power. More More More............
                                Last edited by LAMFDTK; 20 August 2001, 14:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X