mobo BIOS update problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mobo BIOS update problem

I've tried to update the BIOS on my Abit KT7 mobo and I've followed the instructions carefully. I've done everything right and I used the correct file. However, during the flashing procedure, I got a bunch of write errors. On rebooting my machine, I got a BIOS checksum error and the darn thing refuses to boot. I've tried to restore the BIOS to it's previous state but I get write errors as well and the checksum is still faulty.

Any suggestions?
    And does anybody know why these write errors occur?

(I did mail Abit but if I have to wait for an answer fromt them.... )

Thanks.
    KT7 Turbo Ltd. Ed. ; Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1470 MHz (140*10.5); 512MB Apacer SDRAM ; G400 MAX ; Iiyama VM Pro410

Sounds like you fried the bios. You can try this. Switch off the power at the mains. Move the jumper to clear the cmos leave for a minutes and then replace it to it's orginal posistion. Repower the machine and try reflashing again.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

if The PIT suggestion doesn't work, then you can get your bios reprogrammed/replaced from here which is in The Netherlands!

Comment

TP... usually when doing your suggestion, one has to power up again, until after the BIOS POST has passed and then power down again, then change the jumper back.

IcedEarth, tell me... doesn't your mobo manual say something like this in the BIOS Setup / Flash chapter?
        WARNING! If you encounter problems while updating the new BIOS, DO NOT turn off your system (or reboot) since this might prevent your system from booting up. Just repeat the process, and if the problem still presists, update the original BIOS file you saved to disk before. If the Flash Memory Writer utility was not able to sucessfully update a complete BIOS file, your system may not be able to boot up. If this happens, your system will need service.
        Ayoub's option is one. Trying to change/get a new Abit mobo is the other.

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden, that's not correct. All that the jumper does is that it disconnects the BIOS from the battery on the motherboard (so the effect is the same as taking out the battery).

This even can have a malicious side-effect on the attempt to clear the bios values to default settings, since some mobos can power the bios when it's connected to the mains. Just follow TP directions, i.e. leave the pc disconnected from the mains and short circuit the jumper/connection for bios clear for a minute or something.

btw. if the BIOS is unrevoverable (i.e. it won't boot any more, not even from floppy after clearing the bios data), then you can still fix it by doing a hot-swap. Some sites have info about this, though you have to be very carefull, as you can destroy/corrupt another BIOS chip in the process. You might even be able to order a new bios chip from your mobo manufacturer, as the chip itself only cost a fraction of the money they would need to spend for a RMA.
          Last edited by dZeus; 14 August 2001, 08:45.

Comment

Thanks dZeus. I wondered about that already
            I don't have a CMOS clear jumper on my board, so my option is to take out the battery, I have to put power on the board then and power off again!!, then replacing the battery for the CMOS.

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Well, the problem is that the flash utility fails to write to specific locations of the BIOS ROM. About 20% of it can't be rewritten. I have no idea how this is possible. I can flash my BIOS over and over again but those specific locations are unaffected and thus the end result is rubbish. I've tried to flash it with the original file but obviously this process doesn't create a valid checksum either since my PC still doesn't boot up.
              I've tried the CMOS jumer thing but that doesn't work so I guess I'll send my BIOS to the guy in Holland.
              Thanks for the tip BTW )
              KT7 Turbo Ltd. Ed. ; Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1470 MHz (140*10.5); 512MB Apacer SDRAM ; G400 MAX ; Iiyama VM Pro410

Comment

Working...
              X