flatbed scanner advice please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MK
    Aber die Geschmäcker sind verschieden ...

MK
    Genau ...
    Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

The lowest model that HP has to work with W2K is the 4300CSE. The 3400, while it may be possible to get working with W2K (had about 50% success rate in W2K), it is not worth the hassle. HP, as a company, is going to hell in a handbasket, and their scanner software programmers are leading the way

Comment

About scanners, I´ve got the Epson 640u and I´m not to thrilled about it. The scanning quality is very very good, but the speed is not that good IMHO. Previewing is amazingly fast, but once you start scanning something higher than 150 dpi or true color on a whole A4 page it´s not that fast. Epson software *IS* a joke. The OCR stuff seems preety accurate but it´s useless because it crashes like 75% of the time (at least on win2k). I´ve seen it at least with two different systems.

Plustek scanners have fair image quality, reasonable speed, but they are unreliable.

Comment

OCR ... Try ABBYY FineReader ... Its the best around or so i`ve been told.I never used other OCR programs except the one bundled with the scanner, but that one ofcourse is pretty crappy and i couldnt get it to recognize Cyrilic fonts ...
          That being said, ABBYY just doesnt work anymore ... Just starts, shows the splash screen and exits. Must be something i installed afterwards. And i really needed to scan some 5-6 pages of text ... oh well, i guess i`ll have to type it then ...
          Last edited by omegaRED; 22 August 2001, 16:53.
          Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Nuno - I second that. I have not only been working on different HP models, but also on Musteks, UMAXs (the software I got with their scanner was an impudence !), AGFAs etc. and I always found some bugs (or features ? ).

Concerning the price / performance / quality ratio Plustek is definately unbeatable. Additionnally I didn`t had any trouble with them so far, the drivers are excellent, the support too and the quality and speed satisfies me completely. And I love the usability of the scan interface.

If you have a look on their german homepage, they offer Win2K drivers even for some of their discontinued models and for all the other models, even when they are 3 or 4 years old.

Just my 0.02c

MK
            Last edited by MK; 22 August 2001, 18:13.
            <font size="1">
            Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
            ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
            Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
            2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
            256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
            Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
            ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
            Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
            Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
            Plustek Optic Pro U12B
            HP Deskjet 959C
            Plantronics LS1 Headset
            all on W2k Professional SP2
            </font>

Comment

to close the thread....

got the UMAX Astra 4000U, had an interesting afternoon until it was running.

If somebody else faces the problem: ignore the install cd, head directly to their .com domain and grab the latest ENGLISH drivers... (24megs) - anything else crashs as soon as a real full quality scan starts (prescan was fine, but the rest...)....

got it working and I have to say I am really happy & impressed now.

greets & thx to everybody

wulfman
              "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
              "Lobsters?"
              "Really? I didn't know they did that."
              "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Working...
              X