Video Games = violent people.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Games = violent people.

I'm looking for the FTC or FCC, can't remember, study that showed no connection to increased agression for people who play video games. I can't find it anywhere. I've searched the forums and the net, but I can't find it. I know it's out there.

Jammrock
    No more than I was before I started gaming...you got a problem with that?
    0%
    I WILL DESTROY EVERYTHING!!!!
    0%
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

YOU LOOKING AT ME PAL?
    1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
    Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
    Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

No way!!!!

We always took our Rocket Launchers to work. Even before UT, Quake and all those great entertaining games came out.

Paul
      Last edited by ALBPM; 20 August 2001, 16:03.
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I do think that violent computer games can make people behave violent (in particular children), but I believe that the games itself are not the deciding factor in the cause of this behaviour, but probably a key into exposing a violent tendency that the child/person already had, and if it wouldn't be the games, it will very likely be something else that will trigger the act of violent behaviour.

And I think it's silly to ban all the possible key factors into development of violent behaviour, and think that 'they' should focus more on the absolute cause of the development of this behaviour.

Comment

I think to blame games is just a case of passing the buck in many cases. There will be the odd case where theres something missing upstairs where games may give them an idea. However most of the time it's just parents being either too idle or uncaring or incapable of disicipline.
          I can see this getting relocated to the soap box somehow. Now I'm just off to bash someones face in.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Folks, take a look at this:

Researchers: Video games hurt brain development

Happy gaming
            There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Notice that this is more important when you´re a kid (whose brain is in great development). AND WE ARE ALL GROWNUPS!

Comment

AND WE ARE ALL GROWNUPS
                At least when looking at the year of our birth

Seriously though I dont believe that Quake = Serial Killer! It may be a triggering factor with some people, but hey shouldnt cartoons do the same then? At least last time I checked it hurt like h*** to get whacked on the head with an aircraft carrier

Now where did I put that chainsaw.....
                Last edited by Grego; 21 August 2001, 09:19.
                System:
                Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
                AMD Thunderbird 800
                SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
                Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
                LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
                IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
                Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
                WinME
                directx 8.0a
                384mb pc133

Comment

My dad sent me that article. Any kid who spends all thier time doing ANYTHING besides "...practice basic mathematics, reading and writing to boost the development of the frontal lobe..." will not develop. If they're outside playing, it's not going to develop the frontal lobe any less than playing video games.

Sheesh...it's kind of silly if you think about it.

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

this thread reminds me of this quote...

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Comment

Originally posted by ageedoy
                      this thread reminds me of this quote...

LOL ageedoy!

Comment

Working...
                      X