What Cpu have you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by borat
    i wonder why the mobo manufacturers droped on board cache...
    It was put on Socket 7 boards because the processors of the day didn't have any L2 cache, later processors had the L2 cache integrated into the processor and so motherboard based cache was no longer needed. The AMD K6-3 was the odd one out as it had onboard L2 cache but worked on Socket 7 boards thus making the motherboard cache L3

Processor speeds have increased rapidly over the years but FSB speeds have not increased at the same level so any motherboard based cache would really be to slow now to have any beneficial effect on performance.
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Current:

K6-2 500
      Athlon T-Bird 1.33GHz

Comment

taz i can see what you are saying but when the K6 500mhz was about the FSB and on board cache speed was only 100Mhz or 1/5th of the processor speed. however with the current DDR memory and 266mhz FSB then the cache could also run at 266mhz and five times this is almost 1.4ghz meaning that there is the potential for it to be usefull even now.
        is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
        Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

micron made some chipset samples with large ondie l3 caches... I'm not sure if they were considered cost-effective, though the caches did increase speed quite a bit.

Comment

That chipset was called "mamba" if remember correctly and that L3 cache was something very special cause it had >8GB (or was it 8MB of cache? ) of bandwidth and it was included in the northbridge, correct me if I'm wrong.

And I know they claimed atleast 10% speed increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Novdid
              That chipset was called "mamba" if remember correctly and that L3 cache was something very special cause it had >8GB (or was it 8MB of cache? ) of bandwidth and it was included in the northbridge, correct me if I'm wrong.

And I know they claimed atleast 10% speed increase.
              Mamba was/is not a complete chipset but only a northbridge
              with 8 MB of integrated L3 cache. From what I've read Micron
              was considering to enter the chipset market with Mamba
              but it seems they've dropped these plans.

Georg

Comment

I have ticked Duron, but I did until it recently went tits up & took my Abit KA7 board with it have a Athlon classic 750mhz.

My preference is the Athlon for its greater power - so when I can afford it I will grab myself a new socket athlon

Comment

transmeta..... crusoe......

mfg
                  wulfman

(only joking)
                  "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                  "Lobsters?"
                  "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                  "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfman
                    transmeta..... crusoe......

mfg
                    wulfman

(only joking)
                    No. 6502
                    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                    My System
                    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                    German ATI-forum

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana

No. 6502
                      Never seen one of those. But I have worked on and coded asm for 6809 and an HC11 in the process of getting my engineering diploma at NAIT.

One time I had bought an "upgrade" chip for the 8088, named NEC V20 (8088) and V30 (8086). I paid maybe $11cdn for it - happened to be the last one Radio Shack had. can't remember the year i bought it though...

Oh yeah, actually seen 3MHz 80186 in an Acer Altos. Next time I saw one of those chips was on a VLB caching controller. Too bad it never had a driver for windows95...

sorry, i'll stop now ...
                      ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

i have a Vic20 networked to a Commodore 64!

jk

actually its 2 Wangs

ok, ok, not really! But my friend has an Amiga.
                        AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

The 6502 was the original gaming CPU as I recall. Anybody remember using bit-slice processors?

And what about poor Zilog? Everybody forgets the big "Zzzzz".
                          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I remember programming machine code on my BBC Micro which had a 6502 processor running at 2Mhz. It's was very limited to say the least with only 3 registers IIRC.
                            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Yes, the 6502 is sometimes described a bit ironically as the "first RISC" CPU. That means very few instructions, but doing them in very few cycles as well....

It was Commodores C64 CPU, running at an astonishing 1 MHz (2MHz in the C=128), for those that are too young to know CPUs slower than 1GHz...
                              But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                              My System
                              2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                              German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
                              X