Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13Gb ibm and voodoo 3 3000 problems

my pc started to behave strangely afew months ago
    all of a sudden the screen would go black(as if the screen was on but the pc off) and refused to return and the pc would not respond to any keyboard commands such as ctrl + alt + del.
    i know that when the screen went off the pc also died as i have a datalogger which records data along with the time of entry and upon inspection the data stopped being entered when the screen went off.
    to begin with this happened every couple of days but it gradually got worse to the point where it was happening every hour.
    then out of the blue the pc refused to boot into windows at all.
    i consulted a technician who thought a virus had corrupted the HDD and he reformatted it and the problem went away for a couple of weeks but again returned.
    i sent the HDD to ibm and they sent me a new one but again it became unbootable.
    i became suspicios of the video card(voodoo3 3000 agp) as on boot up the video card bios details kept flashing twice on the screen.
    i removed the card and replaced it with an old ati and reformatted the HDD (the only way to get it back functioning)
    the PC has worked without problem now for several months.
    how could the graphics card do this to my HDDis there a bios update available on the net for a v3 3000?
    do you think that flashing the video bios may solve the problem or is it more likely to be a component failure?the thing is i dont want to flash the bios only to let my HDD get corrupted again.
    the card had worked for 2 years before the problem and i am quite fond of it even though 2D is suspect
    thanks for reading such a long and boring problem!
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Did the V3 sit close to the hdd?

V3's output a lot of heat ....

It could be affecting the drive.

Is the drive new enough to work with IBM's DFT (Drive feature tool) ?

In there you can check how hot the drive is, if it suports this feature....

Otherwise it could be that the PSU can't handle the power hungry V3 and IBM drive...
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

the v3000 is not near the hdd and the hdd is cool
      the problem is strange as they both worked in harmony for almost 2 years. maybe the v3 is malfunctioning.
      is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
      Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Working...
      X