Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP ! Voodoo1 is crashing on my new CPU

Now don´t laugh at me!

Did anyone experience problems with an old 5sim Chaintech board (SiS chipset) a K6-2 Processor and a Voodoo Graphics acclerator card.

With the Old Pentium233MMX everything ran fine (but slow) and now when i upgraded to a K6-2 450, all games (which use glide) crash at startup leaving a onecolored screen (sorry 'bout my bad english).

What could it be ? Will the problem occur with a Voodoo2 ? I really like that old machine and wouldn´t like to rest it in Peace, so please help.

Thanks
    Friedrich

When you changed CPU did you also change the cooler?

Also make sure your memory can handel the faster FSB (100MHz)!

Also did you change the PCI divider in the BIOS?
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Pardon me for the less information.

The Problem only occurs when starting 3d-games that use the Voodoo.
      The system runs with 75Mhz, but even reducing to 66 doesn`t make a difference. The ram is specified for 100Mhz system-speed.

Before upgrading the CPU I updated the bios, no problems with that. I suppose the problem is somewhere within the drivers, maybe something with the 3Dnow extensions. I thought there might be a patch to fix these problems.
      To prevent further speculations: I use Win98 on that system.

Friedrich

Comment

Did you change the cooler???
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

No I didn´t change the cooler, because it was allready a "genuine-k6-2-cooler", meaning it is big enough for that processor.
          But that´s not important. The system runs stable for hours, only the try to use the Voodoo freezes it up.

Friedrich

Comment

Are you using the latest drivers? (These are the latest from 3dfx dated Apr 29, 1999, your board vendor may have newer ones!)

BTW Do you have a s3 2d graphics card?

Comment

Yes, I use the latest drivers.

I use Riva128 as 2D-card. You might ask why I want to use a Voodoo when have a Riva128, which may give the same result. Yes, in some games i prefer the Nvidia card, but others, e.g. Unreal Tournament, prefer glide or give crappy pictures with a Riva128.

Friedrich

Comment

Working...
              X