No announcement yet.

AntiVirus Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you ever compare to a manual download from the site I posted above ?

It wasn't a problem to get regular updates, but the ones that got downloaded automatically were always behind the ones I could manually grab from their US ftp server.

Cheers,
    Maggi
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I get too many updates from Norton every week.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

At home, NAV 2001.
        At work, McAfee Demo. Since 3 or 4 years. Because something strange happened: At one time, McAfee upgraded to version 3. I don't know what they changed to the data stored to limit the activation time of the demo, but when I upgraded to the (at that time) new ver. 3, I suddenly had something like 1700 months good before deactivation of the demo. And it has been like that since then. The clock is ticking, and the number of months before deactivation is going down, but it still is something like 1650+ at the time being. And I am using the latest version. Very strange indeed. I do not complain, however.
        Michka
        I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
        If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

Yet another update thats the third this week.
          Also nortons has unlimited updates. Just uninstall before the time is up and then re-install it and you've got another year of free updates.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I have an issue about NAV2001.
            Now, I can find the latest virus definition updates (pattern file) here.
            I ran the Liveupdate and it downloaded and installed an update file for NAV 2001 of 200-300kb. Is that the scan engine update ? if so, where can it be downloaded manually ?

Comment

Does anybody know of a good (that would exclude McAfee) free trial AV SW for W2KAS? My trial expired for NAV and I don't know how to flush it to get it reinstalled. I tried Kaspersky AVP Pro but it won't run on a server.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Admiral if you use life update it will download all the options you need.
                Xortam I don't know I uninstalled before the sunscription ended and the program reset to 365 days.
                Try using the uninstall rountine if it doesn't work let me know and I'll make sure I uninstall and then re-install before the timeout.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I did uninstall as well as try to sweep out the Registry ... it reinstalls with the trial period already expired.
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I am using the NAV98 (also known as the V5.0 engine) which came with my long since retired AOpen AX59Pro mainboard and the free Frisk F-Prot for DOS. I only needed to register the NAV once back in 98 and it is still working fine, bringing me updates everytime i think of clicking Live Update, it even updated the engine once or twice.

I also don't have the problem Maggi mentioned. My computer is usually located in Germany so i figure that i get my Live Updates from the german site too. But i think they are always recent and not 2 weeks or so behind. There is no good way to actually check this claim, but in case of some of the emergency updates for ILoveYou and such crap i remember that i found them in the virus definitions information after getting my update. I am currently not in Germany, so i can't check if Nimda and so on is covered.

BTW, i am not using any kind of auto-protection, because in this version it is very intrusive, unstable and slows the system down like hell. My easy way to keep me covered is to not use any MS product besides a severly castrated Windows, which means that i kicked out IE, Outlook and all other networking tools and forbid (as far as possible) Windows to do anything by itself. Downloading EXE, COM or archive files is always followed by a hand-initiated scan with NAV. And just to be sure i once in a while activate the autoexec.bat to let Windows perform a virus scan at bootup using the F-Prot scanner.

Yes, i am feeling pretty safe. Am i? I don't know. But there is no sensitive data on any Windows partition anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by MK
                      I am using Frisk`s F-Protection. Should be the same than F-Secure`s software package, therefore I agree with Guru here ...
                      MK
                      Me 3. Since the good ole' days of Empire.Monkey.B virus I've never used any other (antivirus software).

OK, sure, I have to manually download via ftp 3 small files once a week or so. But that little extra effor saves me $. Plus I get the added bonus of not having a piss-a$$ little icon in my system try eating up resources while playing games. And this little DOS baby runs on 2000, 9x & DOS (never tried WinME, but it should work on that, too).

Those interested in checking out the free version and used to using DOS can go here .

Whyzzi
                      ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

NAV 2002 seems to be much better than previous versions. AVP still rules all
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Cool, 20 people and 30 opinions ...

MK
                          <font size="1">
                          Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
                          ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
                          Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
                          2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
                          256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
                          Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
                          ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
                          Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
                          Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
                          Plustek Optic Pro U12B
                          HP Deskjet 959C
                          Plantronics LS1 Headset
                          all on W2k Professional SP2
                          </font>

Comment

Hi:

I use InoculateIT PE v5.2.9.0. This is a freebee version that is still supported but no longer available for download. I suppose one could find it somewhere Small, fast and thorough.
                            I've seen IPE find virii that an updated McAfee missed. Norton is too system intrusive for my likes.

Happy trails,
                            WinXP HE SP1& DX9b; Lian-Li PC-6089 mid alum case; Enermax 550W PSU; P4 2.8b retail; Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e; 1GB PC1066 RIMMs; Promise Ultra133 IDE PCI controller; 2x80GB Maxtor D740x 7200RPM ATA-133 HDDs; OrangeLink FireWire 800/1394b PCI card:
                            1x250GB Maxtor One Touch USB2/fw external Ultra ATA-133 7200RPM HDD; Toshiba 16x/48x DVD-ROM; Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD?R/RW CD-R/RW burner; Radeon 9800 XT retail; DVI: Samsung SyncMaster 213L 21.3" TFT; VGA: ViewSonic 22? P225f; TV OUT S-Video: Sony 36? WEGA XBR400 NTSC; TerraTec DMX 6fire LT sound card to Denon 3802 7x110W based HT; on-board LAN to Alcatel ADSL modem; Canon S750 USB printer; Canon D125O USB2 scanner; Logitech diNovo Media Desktop (Bluetooth cordless keyboard/MX900 optical mouse); Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless USB Joystick; Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D USB joystick; Logitech 2.4GHz Cordless Gamepad/Rumblepad.

Comment

Norton Wins Norton Win!

What's the best AV for *nix?
                              C:\DOS
                              C:\DOS\RUN
                              \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Working...
                              X