Assigning IRQs on an AOpen AK73

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assigning IRQs on an AOpen AK73

I am helping a friend setup Windows 2000 on his computer, it uses the AOpen AK73 Pro and I'm having trouble with IRQs.
    I'm used to assigning IRQs using my very nice ASUS Bios, but now I'm trying to get it done using this AOpen mobo and I have no idea, I can't find anything on the net just yet, I'm still looking but help would be appreciated.

To the point:

His network card, sound card, video card and USB interface are ALL sharing IRQ 11.
    I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the root of all our problems. Then I went to work looking through their bios and looking through their manual trying to fix it, but to no avail. All I could find was a way to reserve IRQs which I don't think did anything, if it does, I'm not sure how.
    P3 500 @ 600
    256MB PC133 RAM
    64MB PC100 RAM
    Primary: Gateway EV700 17"
    Secondary: AcerView 54eL 15"
    WinXP Professional Build 2600 (with Plus!, it's prettified!)
    G400 MAX (@ 171, 228)
    Monster Sound MX400
    512/128 DSL from SMC EZ Card
    Samsung 8X DVD-ROM
    ASUS P3B-F
    Logitech X1 Speakers
    Logitech Cordless Mouse SE
    Logitech Internet Keyboard
    19.1G IBM 60GXP
    8.4G Seagate
    1.57G Fujitsu

you are seeing this because Windows 2000 has been installed in ACPI mode and that is how it assigns its plug and play resources. This is normal. Most people have no problems, other people do have problems. Usually it's all assigned to IRQ9, sometimes IRQ11. Supposedly this single IRQ is used as a gateway to 255 virtual IRQs above 15. By allowing Win2K to automatically assign your resources, you will not have to juggle IRQ assignments, and lets you install more devices that require IRQs than before. Win2K uses ACPI to manage Plug and Play, device enumeration, the dynamic loading and unloading of drivers, and system power management.

These are not conflicts: this is IRQ sharing. Most PCI devices, along with AGP video cards, are designed to accommodate IRQ sharing.

If you have no problems, it is highly recommended that you leave the assignments alone.

Usually problems with systems installed in ACPI mode can be attributed to hardware, BIOSes, firmware and/or drivers that are not fully ACPI compliant. To avoid problems, you should always use the latest BIOSes, firmware and drivers wherever possible.

Comment

hmmm, well, that is a bit of a relief
      but something isn't going right then
      perhaps I should contact his hardware manufacturers etc.

it's odd
      the USB interface sometimes just wont load, when it does load, everything is fairly smooth, except when he tries to play a game, that's just a joke
      he's literally offline, and he gets lag
      we played Red Faction and it lagged, I'm not saying low FPS, I'm saying he actually lagged, he started going one way and then got moved back to where he was
      played Counter-Strike, same thing
      he hosted the server, he should've had a 0 ping
      it jumped to that magical 4095 once, most of the time it still said 0 but he still lagged, he would spring back to places
      P3 500 @ 600
      256MB PC133 RAM
      64MB PC100 RAM
      G400 MAX (@ 171, 228)
      Monster Sound MX400
      Samsung 8X DVD-ROM
      ASUS P3B-F
      Logitech X1 Speakers
      19.1G IBM 60GXP
      8.4G Seagate
      1.57G Fujitsu

Comment

There are two issues at work here.

1. Some motherboards disregard ACPI and generate BIOS-level IRQ conflicts. This is usually fixable with a BIOS update. I used to get buzzing on my sound card because my vidcap card shares its hardware IRQ (INTB, for those who care). At this point, I have every slot in the machine filled and all my devices are happy, including the onboard RAID, onboard IDE, onboard USB, etc. etc.

2. Some DEVICES don't deal well with hardware-level INT sharing. This needs to be taken up with the device manufacturer.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

I'll assume it was 1.
          I think I'm going to flash a new bios when I go over there next. He's got an Athlon 1.2, GeForce2MX, SoundBlaster Live, etc. there's nothing that wouldn't have support for ACPI.

Thanks for your help.
          P3 500 @ 600
          256MB PC133 RAM
          64MB PC100 RAM
          G400 MAX (@ 171, 228)
          Monster Sound MX400
          Samsung 8X DVD-ROM
          ASUS P3B-F
          Logitech X1 Speakers
          19.1G IBM 60GXP
          8.4G Seagate
          1.57G Fujitsu

Comment

Err the soundblaster live in some cases doesn't get on well with acpi. The main culprit being the via chipsets. It's best leaving the option off and then moving cards around.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

If it's a first-gen Live! then you may or may not have to isolate it on its own INT line, and then make sure to get the latest MS drivers for it.

There's a good FAQ at:

With instructions for making a Live! work well in XP. You can get that same driver set from Alive! if you're running Win2k and not XP(do a quick web search, I forget the address).

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Try this link

Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...