Dead CPU fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead CPU fans

ok, I've got a little project that I'll tell all of you about in a while, but in the mean time, how long would you feel comfortable with your cpu fan being shut down.

I realize that not at all is the usual answer, but how long would your cpu be perfectly happy without its fan.

Thanks for the input

Dan
    NOT AT ALL, NEVER, NADDA, ZIP
    0%
    0 - 5 seconds
    0%
    6 - 10 seconds
    0%
    11 - 15 seconds
    0%
    16 - 20 seconds
    0%
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

inifinite time

though it does get inconveniently hot.... within thermal specifications but it probably does shorten the lifespan drasticly

Comment

Mine will do about 37 seconds (after some experimentation)
      AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
      AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
      Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
      Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

I wouldn't run my Athlon or Duron without fan although they would probably survive a few seconds :P
        My old Katmai is perfectly happy running without a fan if I clock it down a bit and skip on the heavy loads.
        "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

I think I know where you are going...

let me guess...turn fans on and off (maybe case & cpu in anti-phase) to reduce system noise?
          Nice idea, but I bet thats one hell of an annoying cyclic sound.

Good Luck

If I'm wrong, and if I'm not, I'm all ears ...
          FT.

Comment

Quite a long time. My P3-750 (Slot 1) is a horrible overclocker but it can sure survive 70 degrees C temperatures for a few hours. A while ago, while installing some RAM, I had to disconnect the CPU fans since the cables kept getting in the way. I forgot to plug them back in. The system was pretty unstable of course, and after a few hours I decide to check Motherboard Monitor and then I see 70 degrees C on the CPU monitor Don't know if it was accurate, as I doubt that any CPU can survive that long at 70 degrees C.

Comment

Two words: <a href="http://www.dansdata.com/c3.htm">VIA C3</a>

Comment

All I can say Tony is keep listening

few hints ....

4 fan circuits (maybe more or less), more temp sessors then your need and a bunch of other stuff

still in alpha testing phase atm so can't say much more

Regards

Dan
                Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

My cpu fan can die any time as I have a external fan with a shroud that is controlled by a digitaldoc5 pointed at my SK6....

The SK6 is still only beaten by the latest alpha....
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Does the SK6 need a copper shim for FCPGA1 CPUs?
                    Meet Jasmine.
                    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I use the SK6 on a AthlonXP processor. The fan is a SanyoDenki fan, it's quiet, and it runs rety cool. Im satisfied with it. I haven't tried to remove the fan yet, and I have no plans of doing so either... But my ASUS A7V266-E should suport the on-chip thermal sensor.....

Comment

My Duron has had it's fan shut off on a few occasions while running at 700 and 850 without problems. I have a Globalwin WBK38 on it so I suppose the HS plus the airflow saved it. If it were running at 950 it might not have survived. (at 700 and 850 voltage is 1.65V, at 950 it is 1.775 V)
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Sasq,

You might want to check out

This sums it up : "We wanted to find out how well the latest processors from AMD and Intel are able to cope with the worst-case scenario - a sudden complete removal of the heat sink. " They actually remove the CPU's heatsink while the computer is operating , and then they just wait and see what happens...

Very interesting, yet somehow I also found it quite amusing.

Jörg
                          pixar
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Been there seen that, the question is in reference to how long the fan can be powered down, which is vastly different to a heatsink falling off.

I should have stated in the original question - how long can your fan power down with your CPU at standard clocking.

Has something to do with wanting to know minimum start up voltage for the fan

Dan
                            Juu nin to iro

Comment

@Sasq: Sorry, I misread the question...
                              @Greebe: Well, it is friday-evening...

Jörg
                              pixar
                              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                              X