Uh Oh! @home may cease operations on Nov. 30th :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh Oh! @home may cease operations on Nov. 30th :(

That means 4.1 million people will be without internet access. Including me! I rather stare at the sun with binoculars than be without internet access.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Arent there other ISPs where you live?
    Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Yeh, I guess dial-up can't be considered internet access.

Comment

Originally posted by omegaRED
        Arent there other ISPs where you live?
        Yes, but it is a complete hassle to setup internet access. Especially if I have to get DSL. I hate all phone companies. As a matter of fact, most companies have the worst customer service. It pisses me off thinking that I will have to sign up for a new service. Secondly, Cable is by far the best bang for your buck. At $45 bucks a month, you can't beat peak 6Mbps downloads. The upload kinda sucks at 128kbps(I can only host 6v6 or less with mw4 ) but it is still light years ahead of 56k. Third, did I mention I hate the phone companies. Just the thought of dealing with those morons utterly pisses me off. Oh yeah, I already mentioned that. And to top things off, the DSL companies around here advertise a 45 day wait for install as a good thing!!! 45 days is BS. sorry about the rant.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by isochar
          Yeh, I guess dial-up can't be considered internet access.
          Not after having 6Mbps for almost 3 years now. Not to mention at work I have actually seen 5MBps download!

Dave

Comment

I wonder.

With all these companies dying off is the business sector the only ones stable and making money?

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
            ASUS A7N8X
            Corsair 1GB PC3200
            Parhelia 128MB
            EIZO L685EX

Comment

Yeah, i think (i suppose) that cable is the most cost effective connection (not that i`ll have cable in the next 2-3 years). I am curious, could you give me the cost of setting up and monthly costs of a cable connection?
              Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

I think I'll be spared the 11/30 deadline. I'd better. @Home was quoted as saying that "if it couldn't negotiate a deal with local cable carriers." Well, AT&T is my local provider. I'll be very, very pissed if they shut themselves down.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Then they will get their cable modem out of my cold dead hand.....ROFL!!!!

Paul
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

God this would really suck...been enjoying the the cable pipe since august and I'm cringing at the thought of going back to a 56K modem...damn my computer doesn't even have that it in any more!

I guess the worst case is that if this does happen the local Cable company will have something to replace it in a couple months down the road...the hard part is already done (laying new Fibre etc)

Scott
                    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

in my neck of the woods(I wonder where that expression came from) our local ISP/CableTV provider/monopoly forsaw this coming and have succesfully upgraded the existing @home stuff and taken it all over themselves. I have had all my email accounts switched over. I can then delete all the @home ones on the 1st of Dec. Then outlook only needs to check 5 not 10 hehe. Lately it has been a bit slow as EVERYone else seem to have waited for the LAST possible moment(we have known about this for months now and I have converted at least a month ago to avoid the rush).

hopefully all will be well with other @home users. It would truly be crappy to have to go back to dail up. Like driving a rusty '84 Hyundai Pony 1400 automatic with leaks and no stereo, after driving(insert great car here) for a long time.

best of luck.
                      AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

For those of you with AT&T @home

At Yahoo Finance, you get free stock quotes, up-to-date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, social interaction and mortgage rates that help you manage your financial life.

Looks like we will be saved! yeah!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by omegaRED
                          Yeah, i think (i suppose) that cable is the most cost effective connection
                          I guess that is why they are going under... a little too cost effective

Seriously though, cable companies and phone companies usually contract out their tech support. I know cause my bro used to and one of my friends works for a place that receives the calls for @home and US West (or Qwest or whatever company it is now) DSL.
                          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

TnT,
                            They're going under because of dumb ideas like the Excite@Home portal/moneypit. In my eyes, my cable modem is like any other utility. Once it's finally at my house, they can make money off of reasonable fees.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                            X