No announcement yet.

New nvidia Drivers don't work with VIA chipsets in WinXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kosh: We're not denying that VIA is not fully to blame. But it seems to have turned into a list-your-VIA-prolems thread.

While you have managed to get your VIA stuff working, many others plain cant. WinMe works for some people, and works as fast as or faster than other versions of Windows. Does that mean everyone should trust Me? No, never trust Me. For I am Pace

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Funny theres people still out there saying it's not a Via issue however if you follow there threads it's too a site they've written themselfs or it's to another thread which is discussing another problem.
      So far I've only seen one person with a Bx board who says that he's got it. After that it's all Via and XP.
      I searched six sites on someones suggested search options and got zero return on all bar one which had a lot people with Via boards complaining.

Heres a quote from Roj of Viahardware who has been very biased in terms of Via in the past. The part is from Via.

"3D games and Win XP put too much load on the memory queuing timer procedure."

Translation:

"WE (Via) did not properly do regression and load / stress testing on the various chipsets before inflicting them on consumers and once again screwed up (and continue to screw up because look at the breadth of chipsets it covers - NEATO!)."

Nvidea must have turned something on in there drivers as the inbuilt ones seem to work with 90+% of people.

So to run a Via board properly keep away from Creative soundcards and Nvidea based graphic cards and XP. Don't use Zip drives and some USB devices (Modems).
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Taken from http://www.overclockercafe.com/

We asked you guys to shoot us some of your experiences with the Detonator 4 v21.11s. To recap, most everyone is reporting on problems with the v23.11s and WinXP but there are most certainly problems with other operating systems. There were 144 responses that had enough information to be counted. This is what we got.

Win98 (16 results reported)

4 - Lock ups on VIA systems

4 - Loss of Frame Rate

8 - No Problems

Win2000 (76 results reported)

28 - Lock ups on non-VIA systems

28 - Lock ups on VIA systems

12 - Loss of Frame Rate

8 - No Problems

WinXP (52 results reported)

4 Lock ups on non-VIA systems

28 - Lock ups on VIA systems

20 - No Problems

36 votes that new Detonators are ok, 108 votes that they are dogs.

I think the statistics point out some very scientific and profound results which are that overall, the v23.11s suck. If you try the Detonator 4 v23.11 remember they are beta and you MOST DEFINITELY are doing so at your own risk.
        Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
        Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
        Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT

So to run a Via board properly keep away from Creative soundcards and Nvidea based graphic cards and XP. Don't use Zip drives and some USB devices (Modems).
          Funny....
          Those are the things I would mention if anyone had asked me which things not to put in his computer regardless of the chipset:
          - Creative Soundcards
          - WindowsXP
          - Zip drives
          - Nvidia based gfx-cards (except if you've tested them and are happy with 2D quality)
          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
          My System
          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
          German ATI-forum

Comment

- Abit motherboards

Comment

Anyone want to buy one?
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Via have just released the 4.36 4 in 1's which contain the err fix.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

viaarena.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, viaarena.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Allthough this is a VIA page it says :

1) VIA is not the only chipsets affected.
                  2) Points to various solutions to the problem.
                  3) Gives detailed explanations of what exactly is going on.

If you check forums on

News, Reviews & Betas which includes large community peer support

Just to mention a few ... you will see, that nVIDIA 23.11 drivers IS affecting various chipsets and not just VIA chipsets !

period.
                  Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
                  incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

I wrote this out once but the forums ate it so I ain't going to right it all out again.

Kosh Naranek. Have you got any direct links to the threads concerned? I had a search and apart from turning up links to the new via drivers found no mention of intel boards effected.

John Gatts mentions a thread posted in their forums however the person who posted the thread was linking to his own site and article again without any proof. A case of promoting a site you've got connections with.
                    At least Via have got an article about this and a solution which basically dumbs down the memory timings of your Via board.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                    X