Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CHHAS

You'll probably end up with serviced GXP75's about 6 months later
    Yeah, I'm kinda upset over the "we don't cross ship" policy.

It apparently only applies to end-users, since the system-builder down the street gets 'em swapped out all the time, overnight.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I too join the "Not really had a problem with IBM drives" list.
      Every workstation we bought into work here over the past two years has had IBM drives in, be they 75GXP's or 60GXP's.
      We certainly haven't experienced any major problems and the failures we have had as far as I'm concerned fall into the 'within sensible fail rate' category.
      I had 75GXP drives at home for a long time without an issue, I swapped them out with 60GXP drives at work, mainly because the newer drives were a little bit quieter and when you have 4 of them that does make a difference.
      Personally I still believe that the fail rate on these drives isn't that excessive, IBM held a massive percentage of the HD market becuase first the 75GXP and then the 60GXP drives held the speed and performance crown for so long.
      They sold a lot of units and because there were so many of them out in the field you just heard about their failing a lot more than a company which held a much smaller percentage of the market.
      I certainly haven't been put off IBM units and I'll continue to buy them.

On the WD front, I'm sure most of you guys were aware that IBM actually manufacture's some 90% of the components you'll find in a WD unit.
      The WD drive is almost an IBM unit, they just add some parts of their own.
      It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
      Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

WD had a bad spot
        From my experience, that "spot" was the entire Caviar line.

On the WD front, I'm sure most of you guys were aware that IBM actually manufacture's some 90% of the components you'll find in a WD unit.
        The WD drive is almost an IBM unit, they just add some parts of their own.
        Actually, it doesn't seem that that is true anymore. It appears WD got out in just the nick of time Also, I thought it was more of a technology cross-license than an OEMing?
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

9 of 10 bad HDD's that I have encountered has been named "Caviar"
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

8 out of 10 bad drives I see pass through my hands say "Fujitsu"

(I have one at home in my "the awesome computer is in use what spare parts fit together to let me on the internet system" that has run strong since I exchanged the original when it was faulty on delivery.. it must be close to 3 or 4 years old now)
            Last edited by cbman; 6 February 2002, 17:07.
            AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
            AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
            Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
            Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Working...
            X