Quantum
    0%
    Conner
    0%
    Other brand
    0%
    Maxtor
    0%
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

I've had more wd's fail than any other, usually a week or so after building it for someone
    System 1:
    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
    Epox 8K7A
    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
    3Com Hardware Modem
    Teac 20/10/40 burner
    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

WHERE'S MAXTOR????????

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I demand a non-Quantum Maxtor choice, as they are hands-down the worst (WORST) drives ever produced.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

for me it is fujitsu, the ones in laptop gave me serious problems, now i ahve a nice fast ibm one
          Dell Inspiron 8200
          Pentium4m 1.6
          640mb pc2100
          64mb gf440go
          15" uxga ultrasharp
          40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

Comment

hmm, difficult...

I've had a WD Caviar that crashed; all of a sudden no data, no information about partitions, nothing. So I returned the drive to the manufacturer (was still under warranty), who send it back - about 3 months later - stating "there was nothing wrong". And indeed the drive worked (and still does, but I don't trust it); apparently, the electronics are always changed upon receipt of a drive, so most likely that was the problem.

After that, I had a Quantum Atlas 10K-crash, but thanks to S.M.A.R.T., I could backup my critical data. A new drive was sent after about 3 weeks - no information about what went wrong tough.

I still have 3 Connor (420 MB), well over 8 years old and still running nicely (never had any problems with them, apart from one of them initially having incorrectly mounted factory jumpers).

My IBM Ultrastar 36LZX gives no problems (touch wood !) and performs well...

So my vote goes to WD Caviar ...
            (perhaps because I lost a huge amount of data - old software I wrote, school projects, ... It crashed a few days prior to writing everything on CD - I had spent weeks arranging the folders properly )

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I've never had a hdd die on me, I even have an ancient Quantum LPS210 running as boot drive on my parents pc. In order of purchase I now own:

Quantum LPS 210 210MB
              Quantum Fireball LM 1.28GB
              IBM Deskstar 16GP 10GB
              Maxtor DM40+ 30GB
              Quantum LM+ 30GB
              WD 1000JB 100GB

All running daily without problems.

This being said, I have tried to stay away from drives with bad reputations, the WD Caviars, IBM GXPs etc.
              "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Apart from an old 50mb one, I've yet to come across a Quantum drive that's lasted over 2 years.

Fujitsu for me are the #1 in reliability.

Comment

You guys probably have no idea how many times I've had conversations like:

Some Poor Schmuck: I bought this hard drive and it worked for a couple of days, now my computer won't boot.

Jammrock: What brand of HDD?

SPS: Maxtor, I got a GREAT deal!

J: Return it and get a WD.

SPS: Seriously?

J: Yes.

...2 weeks later...

SPS: I returned the Maxtor for a WD and my computer work great now.

Jammrock's List of HDD's:

The Good:

1) WD (yes they had a couple of bad batches in the late 90's, but they have been rock solid since)
                  2) IBM (I personally have never had an IBM drive fail on me)
                  3) Seagate SCSI (I had one cheetah crash, once...)

The Okay:

1) Seagate IDE
                  2) Fujitsu (had tons of problems in the past, but the newer stuff is okay)

The UGLY!

MAXTOR!!!!!!!!!

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Western = POS

After normal shut down from XP, at the next boot the 40 GB HD was completely, irrevocably dead. Non-existant. Two months old.
                    Very funny.

I´ve had problems with Seagate.

I have never had any problems with Fujitsu, IBM (some of which are made by Fujitsu). A couple of old Quantums still work.

Vote=Western

rubank

Comment

i love wd,have had no probs and my current one is real quiet
                      ibm have also served me very well
                      i have had major problems with samsung
                      is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                      Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

WDs seem okay these days, but the Caviar line did sucketh utterly.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Sorry About the lack of more HDD choices....

I pressed the wrong button (the preview was the one I thought I had pressed)...

Mayby one of the Nice Moderators are nice enough to make the neccesary additions??

Today I have had thre WD Caviars die on me....
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I guess I can't vote since I've never had a HDD problem since I first started working with PCs in '83. (Oops, writing that down may have just cursed me )
                            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Seems only me and Gurm voted Quantum.

One of the few things we agree with eachother on.
                              Last edited by Novdid; 8 March 2002, 12:11.

Comment

Working...
                              X