Windows XP poll!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP poll!!!

In the light off hte threads in the soap box I decided to put up this little poll. This will shed some light over what the MURCers think about Windows XP.

I left out NT4 for obvious reasons.

Tell me why you decided to stick with XP, or why you switched back.
    W9x---->WXP, I'm happy!!!
    0%
    W2K---->WXP, I'm happy!!!
    0%
    W9x---->WXP, didn't like it, went back.
    0%
    W9x---->WXP, liked some of it, switched to W2K.
    0%
    W2K---->WXP, didn't like it, went back.
    0%
    W2K, haven't tried XP
    0%
    W9x, haven't tried XP
    0%
    Windows??? AAARGHHH!!! I run something else!!!
    0%

I switched to WXP because at the time I was considering replacing my G400DH with a Radeon 7500/8500 and those did/do not support "real" dual display under W2k. I was also missing Dolby Digital pass-through under W2k because I have a Live! card. WXP is just as stable for me, and looks so much better with Themes. The only annoyance is that it won't read some DirectCD discs (similar to W2k before SP2)..
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

I decided not to switch (yet ?), mainly because my W2k runs stable and runs everything I want it to, and because I already experienced some compatiblity problems with my older hardware and W2k (AWE32 hangs the installation; bios is not fully ACPI-compliant, also hangs the installation).

Jƶrg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

W2K Pro - don't like the idea of that product activation thingy...

Thinking of trying out a linux distro on a Pentium Pro 300 that work is throwing out - who knows where that might lead!

gnep
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

W2k & 98.. XP is spyware, and I won't touch it, ever.

Gonna start playing with Free BSD a bit.

Thinking of trying out a linux distro on a Pentium Pro 300 that work is throwing out - who knows where that might lead!
          Where'd they get a 300 MHz PPro????

Comment

Hmm this a good question....I'm still running XP on my system. It works alright, but I've had major problems with it before, like it crashing during boot up and not being able to recover anything on it etc. I've reinstalled XP about 6 times since I've gotten in December, and if it screws up again I'll go back to Windows 2000, which I would have done the last time if my disk of W2K wasn't screwed up.

Scott
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I ran Win98SE for some time before I upgraded to WinXP-Pro. Everything was fine at first. It was really faster in terms of games and applications. But after a month or so it started acting weird. It lost some of itĀ“s preferences (!) from time to time, so I switched to Win2kPro which runs fine. And I miss nothing!
              There is no weakness, but to cringe and despair because one thinks oneself weak.
              For so long as oneĀ“s will is undefeated one is strong, for so long as the desire for revenge still endures.
              -Tom Holland, Deliver us from Evil

Comment

Tried WinXP a week but it didn't show any advantage over Win2K Pro.

Originally posted GT98 I've reinstalled XP about 6 times since I've gotten in December
                6 reinstalls in 3 months
                Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

WinXP is hardly "spyware". People who dislike WMP8's reporting (which it does in Win2k as well, BTW) would be well advised to run the older media player (which has a convenient link in the accessories menu on the start menu). Or Sasami2k (which many of us use exclusively).

I use it because it's faster, more stable, better graphically, and... Julie and I can be logged in doing different things concurrently - nobody ever told me how I could do that in Win2k.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Where'd they get a 300 MHz PPro????
                    mebbe I'm wrong...I've got a cold and am not very with it. Whatever, it's an oldish, slowish machine that is sitting on my desk (at work), connected to nothing, and as soon as it's been wiped of EVERYTHING (including windows 95- hence me thinking about fiddling with linux), I can bundle it home.

It says IBM Personal Computer 300PL on the front - any ideas what that is?

I seem to remember 64meg of RAM.

gnep

Comment

IBM 300PL

Look under this link at ibm.

There are three machines or so under 300PL. You have to get the 4 digit number of your machine to find the correct one. It should be found on the backside of your PC.

But I think for shure you got an PentiumII/III in your machine.
                      There is no weakness, but to cringe and despair because one thinks oneself weak.
                      For so long as oneĀ“s will is undefeated one is strong, for so long as the desire for revenge still endures.
                      -Tom Holland, Deliver us from Evil

Comment

Thanks Schattenreiter!

hmmm... type 6862 could be any number of things - even knowing it had win 95 and a 6ish gig HD didn't help...

I will pull it apart when I get it home sometime over the next week. I work for a (very) big corporate, so it could even be a "special". It could even have a Matrox Millennium in it - which would mean I use a Matrox on the main machine at work, the main one at home, and the old one at work/soon to be at home...

I also saw some listed with the Matrox "Hurricane" - any idea what this is?

gnep

Comment

I had to go to XP because I develop commercial programs and have to test them under every Win OS. I have a machine equipped with removable hard drives and several HD each with one OS from the original W95 up.
                          Also doing some video stuff on the machine, I liked the improved efficiency of the XP video interface over W2K and so decided to migrate for all my work. The other drives with the other OS's are just for testing purposes, with only the OS installed and the drivers for the necessary hardware.
                          Michka
                          I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
                          If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by KeiFront

6 reinstalls in 3 months
                            hmm might have been only 4-5 after I think about it...all I know is that since mid Febuary, I've reinstalled XP 3 times! I kept getting BOSD when I booted up and couldnt recover. The shortest time I went between reinstalls was 2 days....reinstalled on a sunday and it crapped out on tuesday afternoon One of the reinstalls where my fault...i wanted to enable ACPI on my system, since the Last time I did an install I had a Modded BIOS that gave me an error saying that the CPU was too hot during the install of XP! and the only way around it was to install XP as a standard PC.

Anyway since my last install everything seems to be working fine, so I'm thinking its an issue with the highpoint RAID controller BIOS or drivers I was using. I went back to the lastest ABIT BIOS and the 2.x drivers for the highpoint.

Anyway since I've posted this, I bet my XP installation will crap out when I go to turn on my PC when I get home

Scott
                            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

GT98,

Nah, once you get those damn Highpoint issues sorted you should stay pretty solid.

- Gurm
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X