BroadBand Routers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BroadBand Routers

Scan are selling the US Robotics ADSL Router 018000 with 4 Port 10/100 for approx £100. Although I dont have ADSl (and unlikely to get it) would this work perfectly using the analogue modem port attached to my trusty USR sportster? The reason I ask is because I would like to set up a proxy server in the house but I dont want to keep anyone machine on at all times running the proxy software. It must be as transparent as possible allowing all types of traffic (games, html etc) to pass through. The cost of this is approx double that of Winproxy. Anyone have any thoughts?

Regards MD
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

www.fli4l.de - linux router which runs on a 468, is (i hear) easy to install and manage, and fits on a diskette

i know you don't want to keep a pc on all day, but a 468 without harddisk could be nearly noise- and fanless...

haven't tried fli4l yet, so i don't know nothing about it tho

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Why not . . .

Why not just use a Linksys router?

Comment

Yeah. You can get it with either one, four or eight ports plus an uplink for adding more by way of a switch box. Handles up to 253 systems to one connection, so I guess it's enough for most labs

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I am guessing you picked that model of router because it has the serial port on it for hooking up an external dial up modem.

I haven't personally used it in such capacity... so I can't give you any input on it... but I can't see it being too difficult...

I could ask around and see if any of the gang have used one that way.
          AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
          AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
          Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
          Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Make sure you pick the right one. Some support Antivirus and firewall software that you can run on a PC on the network for greater control.

I'm running one right now and my cousin is using one for her home business. Cytrix and CYgwin run through as well as any normal stuff.

Comment

I used a Linksys 4 port BEFSR41 for about a week and decided I didn't like it for what I was using it for. It seemed like a lot of money for a 4 port switch and a very elementary NAT layer. Also, control of the network was haphazard at best.

A better idea, IMO was to build a PC up specifically for the task of segmenting my LAN from the WAN. It is a Router, DHCP server, Firewall, Print Server and Network Attached Storage unit all in one. It runs to a Linksys 8 Port Switch. TightVNC was setup to run as a service so the box can be run without a keyboard, mouse, or monitor. (Make sure your BIOS supports booting without a mouse and keyboard - many IBM BIOS' refuse to boot without both.)

I don't run an Analog Modem on it (as a backup), but I easily could. Using NAT32 Plus, you can use multiple adapters (Ethernet or Dial-up) on both segments. NAT32 also offers much more selective control of PC access to the WAN.

Hope this helps you find a solution for your particular needs.
              Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Elementary NAT layer?

Every security site I've tested it with rates it as bulletproof and my network totally invisible from the outside. If that's "elementary" then it's enough IMHO.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I was referring to opening and closing ports and restricting IPs from internet access...

It's possible to do with the Linksys, but it is a pain. NAT32 allows better control. Poor Man's IIS...
                  Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

i run that usrobotics router and it runs sweet. you can connect both cable modem and dial up modem to it and it easy to use /configure highly recommended
                    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Originally posted by borat
                      i run that usrobotics router and it runs sweet. you can connect both cable modem and dial up modem to it and it easy to use /configure highly recommended
                      Thanks Borat
                      looks like I might possibly order one.

Regards MD
                      Interests include:
                      Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Working...
                      X