Tualatin In A BX Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tualatin In A BX Board

The 440BX chipset has been one of the best and most long enduring motherboard chipsets to ever come out. It was released about 4 years ago and many people still use it today. The chipset is probably most noted for its stability and advanced-for-its-time memory performance. More than 2 years after its release, Intel released the i815 chipset as a replacement for BX, but the 815's memory performance still couldn't quite match the performance of the trusty old BX.

Up to now, the fastest CPU that can "officially" run in a BX motherboard would be a Coppermine Pentium III 1.1 GHz on a 100 MHz FSB. Intel purposely made the newer Pentium III's and Celerons based on the Tualatin core incompatible with the old BX and original i815 motherboards by changing some of the CPU's pin assignments and the voltage requirements.

This is too bad since the new Celerons based on the Tualatin core have 256K of L2 cache which is the same amount that Pentium III's have. Unlike earlier PIIIs/Celerons, the Tualatin CPU's support Vcore adjustments in 0.025V increments and the processor system bus operates at 1.25V.

For the BX, the Vcore adjustments in 0.025V is not really a problem since most newer BX boards allow 0.05V increments, which is really close enough. Furthermore, most newer BX boards support CPU core voltages down to 1.5V or lower while Tualatins use either 1.45V, 1.475V or 1.5V for the default voltage.

A bigger issue are the differences in the processor system busses. Pentium processors prior to Tualatin use AGTL+ which uses 1.5V signal levels. The newer Tualatins use AGTL with 1.25V signal levels.

If you want to read about the processor system bus further, please see page 11 of the Celeron datasheets which can be found here.

The specifications sheet for Tualatin Celerons state that AGTL and AGTL+ are incompatible. This may be true based on their design but in practice you CAN get the Tualatin CPU's that need AGTL signals to work with motherboards that provide AGTL+ signals. I don't know what the long term effects of running this out of spec would be so please do the modification that I will describe at your own risk. I have not heard of anyone killing their CPU by doing this but then again this modification hasn't been around very long. around for a couple of months.

Once again, try the modification at your own risk since you will be running your processor out of spec and could void your warranty. I accept no responsibility for any mishaps you might have. If you can't afford to lose it, don't use it.
    The rest can be found here! http://www.overclockers.com/tips965/
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

I just built a computer with an old Asus P3B-F board last night. Best damn motherboard I've ever used. My Dad still has his, my flatmate still has his...

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

if it wasn't because of the poor supply of quality slockets then I'd give it a go!

Comment

Ordered my Celeron 1.3 today get it in a few days...
        I just can't see upgrading now for either the current interm offerings from AMD and Intel....

Craig
        1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

Totally agree about the stability and rock-solid nature of the P3B-F.

The closest thing to its bang-for-buck I've seen recently is the ECS K7S5A for Athlons. Excellent, fast, stable....and cheap. Maybe one of the most under-rated boards out there today.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Stringy, does this mean you're going to be try the mod as that celeron is a Tualatin?
            if you're going to try using that cpu on you P2B then I should warn you that you are most likely going to fail as any cpu with a multiplier greater than x10 on that board is problematic. this is why powerleap has issued a new bios to be used with their 1.2 tualatin/slocket upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
              Stringy, does this mean you're going to be try the mod as that celeron is a Tualatin?
              if you're going to try using that cpu on you P2B then I should warn you that you are most likely going to fail as any cpu with a multiplier greater than x10 on that board is problematic. this is why powerleap has issued a new bios to be used with their 1.2 tualatin/slocket upgrade!
              Why yes it does mean I'm going to use my trusty old P2b...
              the problem with the P2b is just 2 multipliers above 10x, namely 11x and 12x, I've already confirmed that the 13x or 1.3G Celeron Does infact work with the P2b series Motherboards...

Actually the guy who tried it had a 1.2G and a 1.3G with that Powerleap adapter and the 1.3G worked without a hitch [no bios update], while the 1.2G didn't because of the multiplier Bios bug...

Craig
              1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

Anyone know where I can get the powerleap adapter without processor?

DJ

Comment

Anyone know where I can find any of the good slockets?
                  They seem to be amazingly hard to find.
                  chuck
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                    Anyone know where I can find any of the good slockets?
                    They seem to be amazingly hard to find.
                    chuck
                    Yea I know, I went to ebay, there are a few slockets there, the Aopen version seems to be doable with Vcore adjustments and all that... just don't out bid me!! I need a spare to make sure I don't leave myself without a PC ;o)

Craig

Comment

A buddy of mine just upgraded his P2B-LS with the Powerleap adapter and 1.3 Tualatin. He's been stressing it for a week without any problems. He verified that the provided BIOS was the same as the latest from the German ASUS site (1014 Beta 2). Cost was around $160 USD. This is the same MB that couldn't boot off a Slot 1 Intel P!!! 1.0 GHz. His MB was only able to run my P!!!/850 with an Abit SlotKET!!! after bumping the voltage to 2.05v while it runs at default on my P2B-S R1.03. I'll try his Powerleap on my MB soon ...
                      Last edited by xortam; 3 May 2002, 16:10.
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

then again, the Powerleap converter is the only one with voltage regulators in it. That means that with every other slot adapter, you'll be dependant on what voltage/amperage and your motherboard can supply to it.

I'm seriously doubting wether overvolting the GTL+ bus on the Tualatin by the mod posted above is healthy for your CPU...
                        we'll see soon enough when burned-out CPU reports will start to spread in the various fori/a/ums on the internet... (or not ).

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
                          then again, the Powerleap converter is the only one with voltage regulators in it. That means that with every other slot adapter, you'll be dependant on what voltage/amperage and your motherboard can supply to it.

I'm seriously doubting wether overvolting the GTL+ bus on the Tualatin by the mod posted above is healthy for your CPU...
                          we'll see soon enough when burned-out CPU reports will start to spread in the various fori/a/ums on the internet... (or not ).
                          True this might happen, I don't think anyone is going into this kind of mod without knowing the risks involved... Hell most if not all people who would do this mod will up the Vcore in an attempt to get more Overclocking, which we all know isn't "good" for your CPU...

I'll see soon ... I'll have my extra slocket soon, along with my new C1.3G , I'll still have fun even if it does burn up in a month or 2..
                          Craig

Comment

the problem with the P2b is just 2 multipliers above 10x, namely 11x and 12x, I've already confirmed that the 13x or 1.3G Celeron Does infact work with the P2b series Motherboards...
                            I'm zortam's friend who's playing around with the P2B and the Tualatin/PowerLeap package. I can confirm that the 1.2G Tualatin does not work with the P2B-LS or P2B-S, even with the BIOS upgrade. However, the 1.3G Tualatin works fine. The multiplier bug theory sounds good.

Actually the guy who tried it had a 1.2G and a 1.3G with that Powerleap adapter and the 1.3G worked without a hitch [no bios update], while the 1.2G didn't because of the multiplier Bios bug...
                            Zortam's P2B-S did require the bios update in order to run the 1.3G. I didn't check mine. I went for the gusto. I am also having success in overclocking to 112 FSB. I'm now running at 1.455G.

Comment

Nice nick ... wrong spelling on my handle btw.

Correct on the BIOS requirement. We tried the 1.3 in my system Friday night and it wouldn't start POST (no display at all) until I upgraded to the latest Beta BIOS (was running 1014 Beta 001A). It ran fine on my PC, even slightly o/c'ed (103 FSB): I haven't gotten above 103 FSB with any of the CPUs I've tried on my system.
                              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X