No announcement yet.

New Nvidia chip in August??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think nvidia are supposed to be announcing a new chip in august, but it will not be released for a little while afterwards, so imo matrox have a small window of oppurtunity, due to people hearing about the nv30 and waiting for it.
    Dell Inspiron 8200
    Pentium4m 1.6
    640mb pc2100
    64mb gf440go
    15" uxga ultrasharp
    40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

Comment

But see there is a difference between Matrox and nVidia in that Matrox cards tend to live up to their announced specs while nVidia cards consistantly fall short. And people are starting to see that. That is one of the reasons that Matrox doesn't announce it's anticipanted specs until them know that the chip can live up to them. And if the chip can't live up to the anticipated specs then they will revamp the specs to match what the card can do, before announcing it. Believe me alot of work and testing has gone into their next product.

Joel
      Last edited by Joel; 3 May 2002, 07:51.
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel
        But see there is a difference between Matrox and nVidia in that Matrox cards tend to live up to their announced specs while nVidia cards consistantly fall short.
        Joel
        ROTFLMAO... I'm sure it's quite easy for matrox cards to live up to the specs especially given the fact that matrox has announced precisely nothing about their future product...
        Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

hey impact do you have a spoon I can borrow?
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

that's what the reverse engineering guys say...
            That's what the law says too. If you really don't like RE, then I suggest you take your computer, put it in a box, and never use it again. I doubt you're using an IBM, and no other PC would exist without RE.

AMD did the 486 and up on their own. The guy that's in the next office over worked on the 286 for AMD, but couldn't work on later chips because he was IP-dirty.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

But see there is a difference between Matrox and nVidia in that Matrox cards tend to live up to their announced specs while nVidia cards consistantly fall short.
              Joel

Some people have a short memory... Can you say OGL ICD...

Jeff
              -We stop learning when We die, and some
              people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
              Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
              - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
              - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

Duty, can you say GeForce 4MX?

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Some people have a short memory... Can you say OGL ICD...
                  No I don't have a short memory, that is why I said 'tend too'. But then again that was only one spec they fell short of, but then made up for it. nVidia falls short on pretty much all their specs.

Joel
                  Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                  Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

beating a dead horse...

No I don't have a short memory, that is why I said 'tend too'. But then again that was only one spec they fell short of, but then made up for it. nVidia falls short on pretty much all their specs.

Joel
                    it wasn´t the only one: anisotropic filtering.

EDIT:

i just discovered that "directx caps viewer" says that MaxAnisotropy=4 on my g400max

does that means they have fixed the anisotropic filtering? it isn´t a driver option and i don´t have any games that natively supports anisotropic filtering, can somebody tell me if it works in games, that natively supports it, and how fast is it?
                    Last edited by TdB; 3 May 2002, 15:08.
                    This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

The game do not have to support anisotropic filtering, it's all up to the chip, the same goes for fsaa.

Comment

So iNviDea should be in trouble for copying themselves the last THREE times?!
                        I'm with the ugly guy below me

(It's amazing how many threads I kill with that line )

Comment

Originally posted by Novdid
                          The game do not have to support anisotropic filtering, it's all up to the chip, the same goes for fsaa.
                          but according to matrox, the g400 supports anisotropic filtering:

and since it can´t be forced in the drivers, it has to be enabled in the game. both fsaa and anisotropic CAN be controlled by the game if the chip and the game supports it.

it is rarely the case that games handles anisotropic filtering, you are often dependent on a driver-tweak.

just like z-bufferdepth can be controlled by the game, or (in matrox´s case) forced in the drivers.
                          Last edited by TdB; 4 May 2002, 03:53.

Comment

afaik this game supports anisotropic filtering:
                            Download apps and games for Android. Discover new apps, read the reviews and download the APK. Safe and virus-free.

Comment

are you sure?
                              the filtering option in the graphics-menu seems to be bilinear filtering, it doesn´t even supports trilinear filtering.
                              there was an anti-aliasing option though, it didn´t work on my kyro2, i didn´t try it on my g400max.
                              i had g-police v1.19 bundled with my old voodoo2, i don´t know if it is different from the retail version though.

Comment

nVidia GF5-3dfx

Originally posted by Technoid
                                And I won't be surpriced if it once again a warmed over GF1 core again.....
                                Anyone seen the film 'The Thing' where a couple of alien cells entering a body causes it to transmogrify. The same could be said about nVidia and 3dfx. The real performance from the GF5, if it is to be called that will probably come from, and I could be wrong about this, 2 yr old technology that they bought cheap from 3dfx when they went down the drain.

Regards MD
                                Interests include:
                                Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Working...
                                X