DHCP server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP server?

I use internet sharing to "share" my adsl conection to my other computers.

But Internet sharing uses static ip's and I'd like to have a somekind of DHCP server funtion on the NIC that is conected to the rest of my home network...

Is this possible?
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

A lot of relatively cheap routers will run a DHCP server for you.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I used Win2k Advanced Server to share my dsl connection for a few months. It is very easy to set up a dhcp server, as well as the few other things needed to share a conneciton. Of course obtaining a *cough* legal *cough* copy of Advanced server would cost much more than the 80 bucks it would cost to pick up a good Linksys router.

Comment

a little linux box would do it cheaply, (if you have one lying around)

But for a similar price you can get a router, I just bought myself a dlink 804 adsl/cable router/switch and firewall, to replace my linux gateway box..

This will hopefully reduce the clutter around my computer...

Comment

I use the Linksys Cable/DSL router/swtich. A nice side benefit is a very effective NAT firewall that is built in. You can get 'em with 1, 4 or 8 ports. Add some switches and you can use it to provide the 'net for up to 253 computers

Mine's been running for almost 2 years 24/7 without a hitch.

Linksys also offers wireless versions.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks for all answers.....

So the DHCP funtion is a advanced server only?
            Wich means that I have to reinstall and then I could just use the router I already have (borrowed from work for testing).

Is it posible to have one computer "by-pass" the NAT firewall and use a software instead?
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I think you can disable it for most routers, or set the computer as in the "DMZ". But I would think a firewall on the router would be the ideal location, if they do get in there is nothing to hack anyway?

Comment

there is no inherently wrong with the NAT firewall..... exept the fact that It might fool games that I don't exist!!(it has been a couple of topics on that subject here on murc)
                And of all I have heard the SW firewall is still more flexible than the HW one....

Comment

most good routers allow you to open and set up ports for allowing servers & games to run inside the firewall & and be accessible from the internet.

that is a feature which should be high on the must have list for buying a Router. Also Voice over IP and (VPN)Virtual private Networking are things which you should check to see if you need/use, as some routers can't handle them very gracefully.

Comment

Windows ICS DOES dynamically assign IP addresses via DHCP.

Win98SE and WinME use a fairly simple form of DHCP that numerically assigns IP addresses in ascending order based on DHCP lease time. (Client 1 is 192.168.0.2, Client 2 is 192.168.0.3 and so on...)

Win2K and WinXP uses a more advanced version of DHCP that assigns IP addresses in ascending order based on the MAC address of the client NICs. (FWIW: my NIC in my gaming machine always picks up 192.168.0.218 on a Win2K or WinXP ICS DHCP server...)

Windows 2000 Advanced Server has some really cool commands for DHCP to set IP addresses in nearly any way imaginable depending on your actual network requirements/topology.
                    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
                    X