No announcement yet.

My second IBM HD is dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, Wombat. I am afraid you have right.
    My 60 GXP is partitioned in 2x20 Gigs. They are not the system drives. The first partition is a backup, containing mostly Ghost backups and the second partition is a Video drive. Fortunately I could copy the Ghost files to another drive before I run the DTF.

My system HD is a WD Caviar 15.3 GB on my Epox 8K7A+ mobo. It never failed, but my dealer warns that the Epox motherboards don’t like the WD hard disks. My set-up proofs that it is not true. Who knows?

I plan to buy a new HD, something near 80 GB, but I am uncertain which one.
    IBM has high frequency of failures, poor bearings etc.
    Maxtor has a good reputation and the HDs are very silent disks. I don’t know how safe they are?
    WD works fine for me, they must be safe HDD, and fast, but I’m afraid for the dealers warning.

On the other side, I am thinking about how this failure came.
    I captured video with AVI_IO. When I finished the capture, quickly tried to shut down AVI_IO, before it finished to write to HD and before it finished its own work with the Marvel G400. I suspect that it wasn’t directly the hard disks own failure.

In the next future I will hard test my IBM, before the decision for the new HD.

Fred H
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
    ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Got rid of my 75GXP's for a set of Maxtor D740X's. FAST and very QUIET.

BTW: I have well over 30 Maxtor drives of one model or another around here and ALL are still plugging along, even the old 8.4g ATA33's I have in the kids machines as boot drives.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

The Seagate Barracuda IV's are the most quiet 7200 rpm drives currently out. Newer revisions don't have the nasty firmware bug that prevented the read-ahead cache from working properly, especially in a RAID setup. They come in 40, 60, and 80 GB versions. I plan on buying the 80 GB one.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I've never heard of Epox/WD problems before.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The warning about the Epox, exactly sounds like this (transl.): ”…WD hard disks could have problems to be detected on motherboards with VIA KT133A and 686B chipsets.” and “…e.g. Epox 8KTA3…”
            As I mentioned, I have a WD as system drive on my Epox 8K7A+ board, and it works outstanding. Ofcourse, the board has the AMD 760 chip.

I have the possibilities to buy, for the same price:
            1. Maxtor DiamondMax D740X 80.0Gb 7200rpm UDMA133 IDE
            Or
            2. Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus D740X-FDB 80Gb 7200rpm 2Mb UDMA133 Fluid IDE.

Any experiences about the Fluid bearing drives, please?

Fred H
            It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
            ------------------------------------------------

Comment

The fluid bearing drives are supposed to be quieter, but the standard drive should be fine unless you've already got a quiet system. The standard one's cheaper too.

Comment

Working...
              X