Unlocking time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me again.
    So I had my 745Ultra with 1 512MB DIMM, and my Fasttrak set up, with my Duron 850 in there. It started locking up for no apparent reason. I replaced the video card, but that wasn't it, etc.
    I got it down to video + MB + RAM + CPU + floppy, and it would still lock up. I don't have spares for most of those things though. I decided to try the setup in my 8KTA3, but when I moved the Duron and put the 6035 on it, I heard that dreaded crunching sound: my Duron's core has broken. I am without a home computer, and it sucks.

My replacement 1800 just arrived. I'll try it (with the stock heatsink) tonight to see how it behaves (crosses fingers).
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Wombat,
      You're meant to be upgrading,not self destructing!
      Sorry to hear about your misfortunes.
      Hope your new cpu works,if not I could lend you a cpu.
      (Got enough of them collecting dust!)
      Let me know,can't let you go without a home computer!

Comment

The new CPU arrived, it it seems that all is good with the world. I'm running with the stock retail HS/fan right now, CPU at stock speeds, memory at 166MHz.
        No lockups in 2 hours, and I've been doing all the stuff that would kill it off easily. It looks like that Duron suffered a painful death.

So: recommendations on HS/fan? I have mounting holes on the motherboard, but not on the motherboard tray (at least, not yet )

Alfie: thank you very much for a generous offer, I'm glad I didn't have to take you up on it. But if you really have some Socket A's sitting around, I could use a replacement for this Duron (was going to be a file server), and PM me if you'd be interested in sale or trade.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I got the Swiftech MCX462 cooler with an 80mm 50 cfs Sunon fan.

I liked it because of the many good reviews and the fact that it mounts to the motherboard holes via four standoffs.. you don't have to remove the motherboard to take it off. I'm just putting the thing together tonight.. will let you know how things go..

Comment

Wombat,check your pm's and glad your up and running!
            Thermalright's AX-7 is also an excellent heatsink,may want to check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
              I got the Swiftech MCX462 cooler with an 80mm 50 cfs Sunon fan.

I have one too and its great...best thing is that its almost impossible to crack your Duron/Athlon Chip with the mounting setup it has
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Wombat,
                Check your pm's.

Comment

Got nice results with that cooler.. check that other thread I started.

Comment

Any updates, Wombat? How is everything going? Any luck unlocking yet? Reread the thread and now Technoid has me a bit worried. Hope the conductive grease from that kit holds up alright. Couldn't find a retail shop online for that silver paint Greebe mentioned, but I may have to find some somewhere if this stuff stops working.

Comment

Working...
                    X