Overclocking a Duron 800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking a Duron 800

I was thinking to buy a new processor to replace my too slow and old Duron 800, but then I realized that:
    1) There is no Duron 1600 or better, and I don't want to spend money for a bunch of mhz
    2) I have to put away money to buy my Parhelia (I hope there will be not much difference between retail 64MB and 128MB, apart from the MB)
    3) I have a supadupahypa cooling system, so why do not try to use it?

The fact:
    I can overclock a processor when I work on jumpers or Bios.
    I have no idea how to o'clock a processor drawing strange things on it with a lapis!! (urka...is lapis an universal term? )

Can someone help me? A link with the infos nedeed? (not too complicated, I'm a programmer )
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Be advised that your Duron is unlikely to OC much. You might get it running at 900-1000MHz. Maybe you ought to check the prices out in the shops around you. Here an Athlon 1800XP is only $100.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

You can probably overclock your Duron 800 up to about the 1000 mark with few problems. Mine hits a ceiling at about 1050mhz, and no matter what way I clock it it refuses to even POST higher.

Depending on who and how the overclock is done, you can either look forward to many years trouble free service, or a gradual tend towards lockups and sudden reboots to default speed as the unlocking material wears off.

Overclocking a Duron is accomplished by joining the L1 bridges on the CPU. It can be done using an heavy-lead pencil, but a better way is using conductive paint (it the stuff used to fix breaks in heated windscreen traces).
      There are numerous sites on the net describing exactly how and with nice pictures. A Google search is bound to turn up something.
      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I recently got a Duron 700 as it was the cheapest Socket A chip I could find to test out a possibly broken Epox 8K7A+ (cheap so I didn't waste my money if the board blew the cpu up!), and as it turns out the board works fine, and the 700Mhz Duron runs great at 7x133=933Mhz

Comment

Working...
        X