Headphone amps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphone amps.

A curiosity question more than anything. I've been reading some reviews on headphone amps online lately. Naturally the reviewers praise the headphone amps with much delight. I know KvH has talked about a few of them. My questions are:

How much of a difference does a headphone amp really make?

With my decent Sennheiser HD570's, would I notice a big deifference with a decent headphone amp?

I'm thinking of grabbing a cheap headphone amp just to test it. Looking at the HeadRoom Airhead as a tester.

Does anyone have a brand preference?

Jammrock
    Last edited by Jammrock; 9 July 2002, 10:13.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

The whole chain is important, and the amp is definitely a key part. I haven't really messed with any other than this Headroom MAX, but it delivers glorious sound through my HD600s, and blows the little amp in My Nakamichi CD player away. I would say its a good investment, if you have good phones (you do) and want them to perform at their best.

Let me know how you like the airhead.. I might want a portable.

Comment

If you decide to get the portable amp I would love to hear your thoughts on it. I have HD570's also, and I have always wondered if the portable amps would make a noticeable difference. If you decide to pick one up I would love to hear the results.

Comment

I have a Shure FP22 (portable - 9V battery or line), a Sennheiser headphone Dolby decoder, and a pair of Sennheiser HD600s.

"How much of a difference does a headphone amp really make?"
        Huge difference with most PC DVD players. The Shure has alot of gain.

"With my decent Sennheiser HD570's, would I notice a big deifference with a decent headphone amp?"
        No difference in sound quality that I notice with the Shure. Transparent. Gain is the thing.

"Does anyone have a brand preference?"
        Only tried the Shure. I would recommend it.

Leading manufacturer of microphones for live, touring and studio applications. Professional audio manufacturer of in-ear monitoring systems and sound isolating earphones.
        Last edited by Brian R.; 10 July 2002, 06:43.

Comment

You know I picked up one of those Sen dolby decoders off ebay, but I could never figure the thing out. At times it seems like it is malfunctioning, but sometimes it seems to work fine.

Comment

The reason I like it so much is, besides the Dolby effect, it takes the center channel out from between your ears and makes everything come from outside your head.

Comment

Working...
            X