No announcement yet.

Respect !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, but I fail to see the context - or do you mean my drive is dying?

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

az, unforuntuntely that's how it began when my two IBM (I had 6 of them , now they're only four left..) HDs started to die . Fist seldom/random errors, then one drive would only want to start up every second power-on (giving the "Click of death" ™ by Wombat on the other power-ons), then they failed at all.
      Last edited by Indiana; 21 July 2002, 17:10.
      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
      My System
      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
      German ATI-forum

Comment

I've got 3 IBM 60 GXP's for almost as long as they have been out, running 24x7 in my main machine and I have not had a single read, write, access, detection, click error. They also always had an 80 mm fan blowing on them and they never get above room temp. I was going to get the 120 GXP for a large drive, until IBM sold thier HD division. Now I'm gonna wait.
        P=I^2*R
        Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

I've never lost a drive (knock on wood) and I've got several IBM drives as well as Maxtor and Quantum; note, they're all SCSI drives.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Only once.

Only once have I lost a drive (691MB) and it was replaced with a 1GB drive under warranty at my house within 3 days.

Comment

Originally posted by az
              I'm running a 60 GXP and just recently CPUCool gave me a message that some smart value decreased from 100 to 99... I think it was data errors or something. I did overclock slightly at the time, don't do anymore.

Can anyone tell me if this is a sign of the HD dying, or if it is due to the FSB running at 112, therefore (or therefor?) overclocking PCI, AGP, etc.?

AZ
              It depends on the chipset configuration. But it is most likely YES at 112 MHz.

In my experience, the only overclockable item with long term use is the CPU due to the fact that it might be actually Underclocked by the manufacturer. Celeron 300A, PII-266 SL2W7, PII-300 SL2W8, some of PIII-550, P4-1.6A are the general cases.

My G400DH was bought in Sep 1999. Another G400SH picked up from the old discarded machine was also manufactured at the same period. During the past three years, my G400DH was running at 82.2 or 89.9 MHz for 1 years. Then it is no longer able to run AGP 2x at 66.6 MHz. The video singal quality is also degraded. Instead, my G400SH works fine at AGP 2x. The video signal is still good and the image is still sharper than nVidia's new chipsets because it was never overclocked.

For the real businesss or 24hr online purposed usage, it is not worthy to run the equipments out of the manufacturer's spec just for the reason to save few bucks.
              P4-2.8C, IC7-G, G550

Comment

az: I'm running a 60 GXP and just recently CPUCool gave me a message that some smart value decreased from 100 to 99...

Just forget about this stuff. It's not have any significance at all until it passed a threshold specified for this parameter.

I had same S.M.A.R.T degradation by few points on my local 8Gb FUJITSU drive (which I use as a portable floppy disk). Still works FINE after 3 years of data transfer, mechanical attach/detach procedures and harsh movements from a site to a site.

Sadly, it can't be recognized by fresh brand new 845DW mainboard BIOS, don't know why. Maybe, Dr Morbid can explain? Don't count some nasty problems with a UDMA incorrect behaviour and lockups running on old VIA MVP3 based motherboard when using it, bla-bla-bla, 'ld times bla-bla-bla.

Comment

I've had a few (5 or 6) IBM Drives die on me.. and my own 46GB just got RMAed. One thing i noticed is that these problems occurs to IBM Hdds larger than 35GB. I suspect it is due to heat-related problems as after the first few started to die and i cant figure out any cause (VIA SB chipset, IDE cables, Powersupply etc), I got a simple cooling kit (5.25 bay with 3 small fans drawing heat out) and the rest of the Hdds are happily humming along now..
                  Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                  ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Working...
                  X