No announcement yet.

Elite K7S5A, what Duron can it handle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elite K7S5A, what Duron can it handle?

According to the manual a 950, but there's a 1000 in there running happily. My Asus board that had the hot running 750 in it can handle a 1Ghz chip, so I might be better off moving the 1000 into the Asus board and getting a better chip for the Elite, if it can cope with it. The website just says it's compatible with all Durons.

Dave
    Don't make me angry...

It's usually down to the highest multiplier you can select, have a look in the BIOS and see what that is.

Had a look through the BIOS updates for it, v.01/12/15 includes support for a 1.3Ghz Duron so as long as your BIOS is up to date there shouldn't be a problem running any Duron on it.
    Last edited by Taz; 22 July 2002, 14:06.
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I looked through the Bios, as you suggested Taz, but came away not much the wiser.

However your edit/update sorted me out , I'll go shopping for a 1.2 now,

Many thanks for that,

Dave
      Don't make me angry...

Comment

Screw the Duron and put an AthlonXP into that K7S5A. They *really* like each other

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Can get an OEM 1800+ for <$90 US too.
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Nice idea Doc, I'm tempted, but presumably I'd also have to put in DDR memory, which I don't have - it's got 512Mb of 133 in there at the moment.

Dave
            Don't make me angry...

Comment

You won't NEED to. It's just a bit slower without, but the k7s5a is a great upgrade board, since it allows you to use SDR now, and DDR once you want more speed

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
              X