Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patent claim on JPEG

Didn't see anyone post this yet.

.xyz is for every website, everywhere.® We offer the most flexible and affordable domain names to create choice for the next generation of internet users.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

They'll have a tough time with the patents. The technology was originally developed at Loral with funding by the government. My father's group was the one that developed the compression tech and the engineer took the work with him when he joined Compression Labs.

P.S. Also see http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...,389261,00.asp
    I haven't read through these articles yet. My father just alerted me to this a couple days ago.
    Last edited by xortam; 23 July 2002, 16:44.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

the first thing I thought when I read that subject line was "Microsoft, again???"

has anyone tried to take out a patent on the design for alveoli in human lungs? they could make a mint!
      Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

That kind of "Business" has got to stop!

They can’t come and claim things after the cat is out of the bag…

Like rambus did or MS is trying to do with openGL.

If a company files for a patent and don’t say a word until 5-10 years after they don’t deserve royalties etc etc…..
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Perhaps they should be a law saying if you want to claim license fees you should do it striaght away rather than waiting years before making a claim.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
            That kind of "Business" has got to stop!

They can’t come and claim things after the cat is out of the bag…

Like rambus did or MS is trying to do with openGL.

If a company files for a patent and don’t say a word until 5-10 years after they don’t deserve royalties etc etc…..
            Actually, it is my understanding from reading the June 18, 2002 ARB meeting notes that Microsoft informed ARB as soon as they found out that there was the possibility of a conflict with proposed ARB_vertex_program extension.

Or are you referring to some other issue?

Comment

The case with MS and openGL is different,
              They don't want to cash into their IP, they want to kill openGL in favor of DX
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Technoid,

Stop the MS-bashing already. It's getting old. Be a conspiracy-theorist all you want, but not everything MS does is to destroy our way of life. To make money, yes. But not to hurt the rest of the world. (Not all of it, anyway... )

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                  Technoid,

Stop the MS-bashing already. It's getting old. Be a conspiracy-theorist all you want, but not everything MS does is to destroy our way of life. To make money, yes. But not to hurt the rest of the world. (Not all of it, anyway... )

- Gurm
                  Sure, I promise to stop saying even remotly bad things about MS if YOU stop defending them as soon as anyone says anything remotley negative...

Comment

Actually, he just goes after people that say things that are unfounded. Too much M$ bashing is not thought out. A lot is wrong. If one really hates Microsoft, it is better to reveal the truth than to attack with hearsay(sp?) or lies.

P.S. I am aware of the irony of using "M$" for "Microsoft". It's easier to type.

Comment

My father is getting really irked over this issue and he says that he may just take up the sword and look into the patent claims. You can read the JPEG committee's comments here.
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

GIF is to PNG as JPEG is to ???

Just in case the patent does go through, but from what I've read it sounds like there is enough to prevent it... hopefully.
                        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                        Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Technoid:

High_J made my point exactly. MS does enough bad stuff all by themselves without you attributing MORE stuff to them.

- Gurm
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

Does anyone know if JPEG2000 is affected by this?

AZ
                            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Ofcourse its affected:
                              They have to double or tripple check so they don't run into a new forgent in 5 years

Comment

Working...
                              X