This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
    ... Gotta be in the right place with waves that large I suppose.
    ... which is exactly my point in needing a very large room for stereo subs. Multiple subs are good for delivering a greater volume of bass rather than getting distortion from a larger driver. Oh yeah, I also put my sub on a set of shiny spiked heels ... she's wicked.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

How long are 25-20Hz waves at least 12-15ft or longer????
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I was told that you would need at least a 30 foot wide room to achieve a stereo effect from subs.

P.S. This is based on my memory of what my salesman told me back in '88. Side note--he was also the GM at the time as well as a friend of a friend (now my friend ): Currently is part owner of the high end store.
        Last edited by xortam; 25 July 2002, 22:46.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I've been looking at a lot of speakers since I want to build an HTPC system. The best I could find for the buck were the RocketLoud Speakers. I'm gonna get two 550's for front left/right, 200 center, 250's for the rear channels, and this as the sub. Will have to upgrade little by little, but I'll get there.
          Last edited by BuddMan; 25 July 2002, 23:21.
          System Specs:
          Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
          May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
          Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
          And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
          just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
          For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

The distance between your ears far enough? Less?

Technically, subs operate below 100Hz and are typically good for ~1-2.5 octaves. They are normally made of a higher mass large cone which in most cases causes it to be a bit muddied. Low bass (sub) is directional in that you are able to discern if it's coming from the right, left or behind you, but not so much as mid frequencies where you could pick out a specific originating point in space.

Active/servo driven subs are done so that the amp's feedback is designed with this Lag (muddiness) factor taken into account and thus cleans up the sound. Also why many manufactures, deep but clean subs are of a smaller diameter (lower mass) multiple woofer setups.

KvH's comment of where you're standing is exactly right... they are standing waves and is the most important reason for having a seperate sub from the main/satellite speakers. By placing the sub properly you will reduce (not remove) these boundary dependent low freq waves from ... how to say... collecting in areas which would prove most problematic (listening position).

I highly doubt most here have a room that's large enough to hear a 32Hz note let alone something much deeper like 16Hz.

BTW if it's called a sub and is >150Hz region especially if the lower end is flat to only say 40-60Hz (tho the overall spec claims it's down to 20), it's nothing but a regular woofer with Marketing pulling their tricks again.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

what is it again... ~42' @31Hz?

16kHz =~1"

Something like that
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

I don't think you can hear where sound sub bass sounds are comming from.....but you can feel it, very cool watching/listening to movie.
                My brother is a bit of a BASS psycho, he has 3 subwoofers....err two subwoofers he popped a cone in one trying to get the brwon sound

Comment

I once created a .wav file with a 1 Hz sine wave, and played it back through my HiFi amp & cheapo speakers, and I could actually see them moving! of course I didn't hear anything

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

you's better watch out with low frequency sine waves, it's very easy to screw up your speakers that way.

Comment

One of the fun things about going to a concert is you will hear some of these notes. I went to see U2 not long ago, and suddenly this tone hit me that was so incredibly deep it blew me away. This being about 75 ft or so from the stage.

I saw a show once about the world's great pipe organs, and they were in one of the great English cathedrals.. the host was saying "you need to stand right HERE to hear the tones produced by the 32 foot pipes" (I believe that's a 16Hz note.)

Comment

Yes buttman it's a sub. with an active lowpass filter and integrated 150w amp.

BUT, originally you claimed your only went to 60Hz. I've read the specs now and do agree it looks like a fine sub.

Get off your trip boy before I really have to ask Jammy for his crowbar. You mislead me in virtually every point I made and my comment still stands correct...

BTW if it's called a sub and is >150Hz region especially if the lower end is flat to only say 40-60Hz (tho the overall spec claims it's down to 20), it's nothing but a regular woofer with Marketing pulling their tricks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X