No announcement yet.

Burning large quanitities of CDs....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kruzin, I don't see how that printer fits with the duplicator, or has any kind of self feeder. Did you find out more?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I don't know how they work together, but according to the site they do.
      I'll be calling them, and the company you linked me to tomorrow to get more info and pricing...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Heres a pic of one of the smaller spacity models with that printer...
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Hey! We had one similar in the place I worked 2 years ago.
          They are very funny and useful: you simply drop the new CDs into a loader, then an automatic arm take a cd, clean it, put into the writer; while this start recording, the arm load another CD into the other writer.
          When a CD is finished, the same arm put it into the printer and then into the finished load

Very funny to see working, we did thousands of CDs at the time. (well, they are still doing them, I suppose)
          Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

The pr0n idea actually came to my mind because I had recently seen a documentary on HBO about a guy who did something very similar - a website involving his nekkid wife (and eventually more people from his town) and it got very popular and he made loads of money on it. Now if there were CDs involved that one could sell...

Lucky man. I am still wondering about his wife tho...

End of story.

Consider this a free bump to the top.
            Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

ACK!

Just called copyPro.
              The model pictured in my last post (200disk capacity+printer+network interface) with 4 24x burner will cost $9,200 plus shipping.

That's gonna be a tough sell. I didn't think thay would be THAT expensive...

Comment

Kruzin, I would seriously suggest that you talk to some companies about getting them pressed, they may be able to do something for you. The sort of quantities you're talking about are really getting into that range. It obviously increases the initial outlay, and you have to store discs somewhere, but the cost per disc will be much cheaper; and you will get pressed discs, which will work in drives that have trouble with burned discs (there are some; and if your target audience is not rich or computer nerds, then the liklehood of running into such a drive does increase). They will also probably offer to silkscreen the discs too, which will look far better than printing the discs & be cheaper.

If you still want to go with the hoe duplication method, SCSI ones are often cheaper than network, the number of discs in the stack does not seem to have a huge effect on the price, neither does drive speed. I'd advise checking what drives are in the box before you buy it.
                MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

That's an option that has been looked into.
                  But the cost of having CD's pressed and labeled is still higher per CD than the school wants to pay out.

Comment

There are cheaper versions of the machines you posted. IF I find my c't-ROM, I'll have a look for you. C't reviewed one or two of the less expensive machines a while ago.

AZ
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I am thinking a dedicated FTP server with T-3 access and do transactions over 'net.....you get paid immediately and noone sits playing with a burner and no supplies to purchase in a pinch if you run out

Cheaper than $9K for a mass-burner
                      PLUS
                      Cheaper than the 360 man-hours as described

just a thought
                      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

That won't work for him. The people that need the discs are likely to be on dial-up. Besides, T-3's are expensive and not very fast, and then they have to worry about security.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well, I talked to the boss about it just a short while ago, and he didn't even bat an eyelash at the cost. He wants to wait a couple months, and then will likely purchase one...

Comment

Working...
                          X