Out, Out Damned Dust!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out, Out Damned Dust!

Not sure if anyone here has any pointers in this area, but you guys are always so helpful I thought I might as well try.

First a little background...
    I'm highly allergic to house dust mites. (Which gives me chronic sinusitis problems - which are just gangs of fun. Imagine wearing a motorbike helmet 2 sizes too small for every waking second and you're approaching the level of pressure on my tortured cranium.) So I have to keep my environment very clean. I tiled the floor to minimize dust and lower ambient temp (mites hate the cold). I use dust-attracting cloths every two days and take everything from my room outside, mask up, and blow it out up to twice a week. I disassemble my PC and use a brush and blower combo to keep it as tidy as possible. I had to give up PC tech work because of this problem and it's resulting long term illness. That was two years ago. Currently unemployed, I'm finally getting some effective treatment and am almost back on my feet.

But I digress. Back to The Problem :
    I love PC gaming and browsing the web, but it's killing me! Well maybe not killing ... but it's definitely not helping my health.
    When the PC is running, even with only cpu cooler and ps fans connected, it's constantly redistributing contaminated air. And trapping dust over all the internal nooks and crannies. I have filters on every inlet, although this helps it isn't ideal.

What I want is a totally fan-less PC, no air movement at all. And as few different internal components as possible, to minimize surface area. (Mm, nForce2. Integrated is NOT a "dirty" word) Silence is not essential, but would be a bonus. I would probably stop short of water-cooling, due to my concerns about the condensation. The other consideration is the ambient temperature here in Western Australia : it's 19 Deg C now, but in summer 40 Deg C isn't unusual. Air - Conditioning would be nice, but unless it has very high quality anti-bacterial filters it will just make the problem worse. And these sort of units are out of my price range. So Heat-pipes? Peltiers? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Oh, my current hardware :
    Macase KA-10(?) case (Wide-Boy Style : 240mm W x 380mm H x 395mm L. It's a long story)
    No-name brand 250W PSU
    80mm intake fan, only used in summer
    MSI K7T Turbo LE
    256 mb PC 133
    Duron 900 + Low budget "Just Cooler", 80mm fan adaptor, hsf
    G400 MAX
    Hercules Muse XL soundcard
    Netgear network card
    2 x Quantum 20 GB HD's (Yeah I know. But I need the bytes)
    6x Pioneer DVD slot load
    Ctx PR 711f 17inch and KDS 15 inch monitors (Ideally I'd have LCDs, but they're still hideously expensive)
    Altec Lansing ACS54 4.1 speakers (hard to keep clean, but headphones just add to the pressure on my ears)

Thanks. Hope I didn't bore anyone.
    Last edited by TiG; 29 July 2002, 19:08.
    "You win again gravity!"

Sounds more like you need to electrostatically clean the air in your home if not also use HEPA air filters
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hmm, good point Greebe. I did research HEPA filters a while back, can't remember what I came up with. Best get searchin'!

Thanks
      "You win again gravity!"

Comment

negative ion generator?
        get a good one because dodgy ones can produce ozone

Comment

Just looking at em now Marsh. High quality units are pretty expensive though.

For the moment I've decided to try the low-tech approach : indoor plants! I can feel my productivity increasing already
          "You win again gravity!"

Comment

What about a Humidifier?

Oboy
            Time to make the wafers!
            Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
            jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

Just found a study on which houseplants are best at purifying air. Interesting stuff http://www.practicalasthma.net/pages...s/aaplants.htm
              "You win again gravity!"

Comment

Spyder plants are really good, but no plant can hold a candle to a Electronic air/hepa filtration.

Negative ION generators can help, but aren't that good in removing particulate matter due to them moving little to no air. Also if you do get one a quality product is most neccessary. As MMM said some can produce Ozone and that stuff will seriously make you sick (toxic to all life forms). I have a -ION gen. and measured it's output being less that 10Kv which is neccessary to prevent ozone generation.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

I'll dig up some more links in the morning

Comment

Greebe, great info. Thanks mate!

We had some Mothers-Tongue in the backyard so i potted a couple and chucked em in here. Look nice if nothing else
                    "You win again gravity!"

Comment

Comment

I still have to vote for water-cooling though. I wouldn't worry that much about condensation. If you're going for quiet & dustless, you probably can get away without chilling the water to the point where that would be a problem. That, or you could just insulate the pipes.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Stock-clocked medium temp water-cooling!
                          Very non-1337
                          "You win again gravity!"

Comment

That air purifier is damn expensive !

Comment

No kidding, especially since it would be around 1200AUD by the time you got one here
                              "You win again gravity!"

Comment

Working...
                              X