No announcement yet.

Nakamichi AV10 & Audio quailty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You want your front speakers and center to match....

So that config wouldn't quite work out....
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RichL
      I could go the route of a seperate surround processor, using my existing Rotel as a pre-amp stage, and adding a five or six channel Power amp, but thats likely to cost me a lot more than my £320 budget.
      I think I may possibly have a cunning plan....
      I can pick up a Yamaha DSP-E800 foir £230, which will work with my existing Rotel (using the Rotel's Tape loop for In/Out) and supply 70w for Rear and Centers.
      As the Rotel only goes to 30w (plenty loud enough really) I may need a power amp for the fronts, and I can get a Cambridge Audio p500 (55w) for £100.
      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

As the Rotel only goes to 30w (plenty loud enough really)
        Very true especially that it's a Rotel

I may need a power amp for the fronts, and I can get a Cambridge Audio p500 (55w) for £100.
        difference between the Rotel's output and this one using the same speakers (effeciency is =) <3dB more sound output... virtually no distinguishable difference
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Actually, the Castles I have for the front are 89db sensetivity IIRC, while the rears and center are 86-87db. It'll probably even out.
          Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

In order to drive the speakers with an 86dB effeciency to the same loudness as the ones with 89dB effeciency power output would need to be doubled.

ie
            86dB speakers would require 50w to the 89dB speakers 25w to be equal loudness

+3dB = double the power, inversely -3dB = half power
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Tommorow is AV-Day

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Marantz SR5300 AV receiver, Morduant-Short 905C centre and Eltax HT2 rears with an Eltax Atomic A10 sub. Everything but the sub arrived late yesterday so I should be picking it all up today. Once I've gone to bed for a few hours anyway

Unfortunately their demo rooms were down for redecorating until the new year, but I got the Amp on 14 day home trial anyway, and in a pinch I can always run pure hi-fi off the old Rotel.

Comment

The Marantz should be a decent choice. Haven't heard Mordaunt-Short speakers in years, but they were pretty good at the time. Hope all works out for you and you are pleased with the setup. Many happy, fun hours of A/Ving.. now go out and get the LOTR special edition!

Comment

Thanks, but it looks like AV-Day has been postponed for a week.

The smegheads at Richer Sounds managed to sell the Marantz 5300 they had reserved for me about ten minutes before I arrived, even though I'd told them I'd be in today. I actually saw someone loading the same amp into the back of his car as I was hunting for a parking space.

They wont have another in until next Friday , and if it wasnt for the fact they're at least £50 cheaper than anyone else and the only stockist I can find for the Eltax speakers and sub, I'd tell them to Go Forth and Multiply.

Comment

Working...
                  X