Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll now install WinXP - anything I should know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm disappointed with the loss of performance, but then my system isn't very fast by today's standards...

If anyone has any tuning tricks or tweaks, let me know about them.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yes, just been chatting to Drizzt, says, "remova e Windows XP, per favore"

Scottish guy, mucho bad Italiano

I was quite amused at his answers, its funny how operating systems can get loved and loathed so much.

Take Linux as the best example. Some people hate it because you can't do any real work/play on it. Some people love it because it's a great server. So they don't really disagree (not including the anti-Microsoft boys here).

WinXP. Some people say: Hate it, Fisher Price. Others: Love it, once you remove Fisher Price.

Anyway, back to off-topic, what speed do you run your RAM at Wombat? I've heard the 745 has problems with an async mem-system bus speed.

Back to on-topic...

Do a search. Tweaktown or Tweak3D I *think* had a reasonable series of tweaking guides, and Neoseeker surely will:
      I have broken this guide into 6 parts. Networking, file system, memory performance, freeing up memory, startup/shutdown and then the other stuff. I've tried to pack as much performance related tweaking here as I can but there's always more to be uncovered. I will update this article as frequently as...

I've not read it yet, but I think NeoS are quite technical (as they were playing with i845 chipset registers last time I looked ). Never really read it before, but I think I'll be reading it more in the future.

P.
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Anyway, back to off-topic, what speed do you run your RAM at Wombat? I've heard the 745 has problems with an async mem-system bus speed.
        Some of the older BIOS's had async issues, but from what I can tell is no longer an issue.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I'm still running the 1.3 BIOS, and I've had the FSB at 133 and RAM at 166 pretty much since I installed the board. I tend to work on my computer during rainy days, but Colorado being what it has lately, we haven't had any of those. Literally.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Rotfl!

I've used both Win2k and WinXp, and sold a few hundreds PC with Win2k and a few hundreds with WinXP.

What I have found about WindowsXP:
            1) Look, it take a few seconds to boot. Look, it takes a few eternity to activate, after boot

2) Look, a fresh installation of it is much slower than my one year old installation of Win2k. And my machine was a Duron 800 with 256 MB, while the other machine is a Pentium IV 1800 with 256 MB ram

3) It needs huge amount of ram to work well, but it doesn't use them (and this is really funny )

4) If you use the new UI, it takes a few years to get used to the totally new repositioning (ugly word, sorry) of ALL the elements of the system. And if, as me, you need to work on a large number of Windows version, you will start hate WinXP almost immediately.

5) If you use the old UI...why bother with WinXP?

Sorry, I don't like WinXP.

(but, I know what I'd like: a system that allows changing UI by changing the GDI32.dll)
            Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Working...
            X