Upgrading my system - recommendations/oppinions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading my system - recommendations/oppinions needed

I'm going from a Duron 800 mhz to an XP 1800+, so I thought in the process I might as well try to get the noise level down a bit.

So I need recommendations for CPU cooler and a new PSU.

First of all, I have an Asus A7V133 mobo. If I upgrade my bios it should support XP CPU's, but does anybody know if that means any XP CPU, or is there a limit? Can I at least run an 1800+ on it?

And now for the silencing stuff:

I basically want to get the thing as quiet as possible, and if possible I don't want anything (cooler, PSU etc) that is over 30 db.

Case/PSU:
    I'm getting the Chieftec Dragon DX-01B-D case. So... does anybody know what the noise level of the PSU that comes with the case is? I can get the case without the PSU, but I'll save less that a trip to the movies will cost me. I was planning to go for a Noise Control PSU, but is it worth the extra cost?

Cooler:
    Apparently coolers are getting a bit on the heavy side, so I really want one that mounts to the 4 holes on the mobo, and not to the pins on the socket. I was planning on getting the Alpha 8045T heatsink with a 26db pabst fan. Any other/better suggestions?

Oppinions much appreciated!

Chris
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

and PS: Does that Noise Control Magic Fleece stuff really help to bring the noise level down, and how much?... and will it insulate the case in a way that I will need extra cooling?
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

I have an Enermax PSU which came with the Enermax 710b (actually a chieftech case) and I'm very happy with the noise levels from it.

You can check noise control's pre-treated cases which should silence most usual stuff.

Comment

I used the fleece and even wrote a review about it on this thread some time ago.
        If you're buying a good well built case, you don't really need the fleece. What you'd really want is the added piece for the back of your case since that's where most of the noise comes out of.

Comment

personally i found that the Enermax PSU's are pretty loud in comparison to others. the Enermax PSU was regularly the loudest part of my computer.

but thats me.

the cheiftec case... do you know which vendor makes the PSU in it? or do you know which vendor is selling the case? some vendors have fairly quiet power supplies, some have fairly loud ones. a lot of vendors (especially the ones who don't bother marketing it under their name instead of cheiftec's) put relatively cheap power supplies in those cases, and usually do not produce to much noise. the problem with those cases is the two extra fans most vendors bundle with them are usually pretty loud in comparison to the rest of the system.

The PAL8045 is a great heatsink. i've been very happy with mine so far. it is a solid cooler, even if it is a royal pain in the ass to mount. i wound up having to trim down washers despite the fact my motherboard was listed as compatable. your milage may vary. with that fan on it, the processor will probably run hot. do not be too suprised.

the A7V133 should work with an XP chip. granted, that does depend on bios revisions, motherboard revision, phase of moon, planetary alignment, etc...

i would double check the return policy of where you buy the processor from. and read the AMDmb forums.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
            ......and read the AMDmb forums.
            ow... that doesn't seem all that promising!

Maybe I should borrow my brothers XP CPU for testing purposes first

There seems to be a lot of talk about rev. 1.05 etc. Anybody know where I can see what "rev" my motherboard is?

EDIT: ow what the hell... in case it comes to that, if you have some ideas for a new mobo, let me have them too
            Last edited by Chris B; 24 September 2002, 04:19.

Comment

I haven't seen it yet (its waiting for me at the postoffice right now, just have to get time to pick it up) but take a look at www.microplex.no and check out their silent twin. It is custom made to cool XP2000+ and below without making much noise... It is not too heavy and uses all 6 clips on the socket.

Cobos

BTW: read the reviews on it too... (it even was a danish one if I remember correctly.
              My Specs
              AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

I just saw this cooler, browsing around today. If they can really live up to that 19db promise I must say it's very impressive!

And it's cheaper that the Alpha one too.

I'd love to know what your impression is when you get it installed!

Comment

Well I've actually ordered it for a friend of mine, so I wont know exactly how it is in use, but I'll sure spin it up at least before I hand it over to him. And I'll be hounding him for his opinion when he has installed it.

Cobos
                  My Specs
                  AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

I can only recommend the SiS boards, a new 746 if you can get your hands on one.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

They are hard to come by here in Europe as of typing.

Comment

nope.. closest thing I can find is SIS 745... on an Asus a7s333. But it's only about 75$ so that wouldn't exactly blow my budget if I had to replace the mobo

Comment

I meant the 746 boards, I should have been more clear.

Comment

Ow... I was replieing to Gurm's post. My "nope" was referring to the 746 specifically. You just got a post in while i was typing mine

Comment

I second the recommendation of Sis (735, 745, 746) boards

Rock solid and fast at the same time.
                              80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Working...
                              X