NIC crazyiness.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIC crazyiness.....

My NIC 3COM (3c905-tx) konks out if I have full load on the CPU!?!

I start SETI and 5-10 min later the NIC just stops recieving.....

I lowered the PCI latency from 64 to 32 an then it performed as it should for an hour an then it just whent bananas

Disabling it and reenabling it seems to work once ...

I'm thinking about switching to another 3c905-tx that I've got....

SYS Spec
    W2K Sp3
    MSI 745 Ultra (SIS 745)
    Athlon XP 1800+
    512MB DDR 2,5

IRQ-nummer Enhet

1 101/102-tangenters eller Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    4 Kommunikationsport (COM1)
    6 Standarddiskettstyrenhet
    8 System CMOS/realtidsklocka
    9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    13 Matematikprocessor
    14 Primär IDE-kanal
    15 Sekundär IDE-kanal
    16 NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro
    16 OHCI-kompatibel IEEE 1394-värdstyrenhet
    17 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI NIC (3C905-TX)
    18 Win2000 Promise FastTrak100 TX2/TX4 (tm) Controller
    19 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    19 Creative SB Audigy
    23 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller

The NIC is in the 2 pci and the raid in the 3 pci and the audigy is in the 4 pci slot....

Any idea?
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Check to see if your NIC has offloading, and if so disable all of it.

Comment

I'l check that.....
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Also which drivers are you using? The updated drivers from MS (and 3Com) have ... issues. Use the windows builtins, although I forget if you're running 2k or xp... you can't do a rollback in 2k.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Using the drivers that are in w2k, if they are never, it happened at the same time as sp3.
          I haven't manualy uppdated them.....

Comment

isochar,
            The NIC has no offloading in the drivers page...

BUT

Its activated in registry
            It will be disabled NOW!!
            Thanx!

Comment

Hm... it did it again!?!
              I have a 3C905-TX-NM in my other machine that the VIA mobo I had before hated and I might see if the SIS likes it (No problem on the I815 ) and let it folow the old mobo - out of my box

Comment

It died during a DiabloII session and I ripped out the Bastard and put in the 3C905-TX-NM instead!

2 hours not a single incident :-)

Case closed!

Comment

I've got a 3C905B-TX and no issues either.

XP2000+, MSI745Ultra, Win2k SP2 (rest of system as sig below)

I also load CPU full with Genome. Will switch back to Seti soon (as I'm now the top producer in Genome )
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Wich chip do you have on it ?
                    "Parallel Tasking"
                    or
                    "Parallel Tasking II" ?

Comment

Working...
                    X