No announcement yet.

Best DDR Intel Mobo for Overclocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the MSI board i'm using in my main desktop box has been working for 2 years now... swapped it from dual 366 celerons (that originally came from my Abit BP6 that died - what a total piece of shit) to 1ghz p3's recently, everything works fine... running the Parhelia in it...

MSI boards are usually good boards, just make sure to keep up with BIOS updates, as a lot of the early bios revisions have their fair share of problems....

Epox's have had some QC problems in the past, they got better with it... the only thing that i have seen with Epox boards is that they occasionally have had the same problems as Abit boards when it comes to dying (caps die, board fails), altho i have know a lot more boards that don't die than boards that do... they used to have a 2 year warranty and were good about replacing boards...
    Last edited by DGhost; 29 October 2002, 17:24.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

It's odd that most of you guys are downing ABIT as James think they're the best and I've read a lot of good reviews about them. Is it just the old ABIT boards that suck? It almost seems like there is no consistency with what anyone is saying. Only mobo I haven't heard anything bad about yet is Gigabyte.

But I think I'll wait for dual DDR channel. When is it due out? I've heard very soon, but I haven't heard a specific date.
      System Specs:
      Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
      May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
      Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
      And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
      just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
      For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

abit == good reviews, shitty product... seriously...

when the KT333 chipset was new and the Throughbred cores were new as well, the Abit KT333 board would not work with the throughbred cores, even after a bios update... a lot of the KG7 boards (Amd 761 northbridge, single processor) has severe problems running any XP processor... the K7A, which used a KX-133 chipset, the one that was supposedly compatable with the thunderbird processor, often times refused to work with them... the pattern just keeps going on...

a lot of the boards after the BX chipset motherboards had common problems with failing after 6 months of use, often times blowing up the processors... in fact, almost all the dead abit boards i ever saw destroyed the processor with it...

the funny thing is the up to the BX chipset motherboards they were some of the best boards on the market...
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Abit's generally suck. Their quality control is awful. But they do a great job of hand-picking good boards to send to reviewers. If you find review sites that have to go out and buy their own boards, they'll often have trouble with Abits too.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Ok, dual channel DDR mobos will be showing at Comdex, but when is it slated for release to consumers? I dunno how long I can wait....
            System Specs:
            Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

While talking about MSI, one must not forget that they have QC issues as well....I had one 745 Ultra that wouldn't reboot and another where only one RAM slot worked...

And you can't foget the fiasco with the AMD761-powered MSI K7 MASTER where only about 10% of the board actually worked out of the box!!! They fried cpu's ram, or just didn't post....
              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I'd rather have DOA, which I can return to supplier, than die after 12 months.

As you say BuddMan, the Abit's still seem to get good reviews everywhere. Check HardOCP and they'll be raving about the AT7/IT7 etc, but I guess these guys aren't running the same system for a long period. And maybe they accept that a board will break after a year of hard OC'ing, whereas users like us bought the system as a reliable, performance workstation. How wrong we were...
                Meet Jasmine.
                flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Yeah, but I'm glad you guys helped clear that up for me. But now my question is: when will dual channel ddr boards be out?
                  System Specs:

Comment

Appears that a SIS655-based dual-channel-DDR solution will be available from ASUS in about 3 weeks...
                    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Link?
                      System Specs:

Comment

Working...
                      X