No announcement yet.

Yamaha CRW-F1ZEN - Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddman, get a Liteon. I own a Plextor and think they're great, but the price difference is too big to justify. If I had bought my computer a week later, it would have been equipped with a Liteon (the store started to get them a week after I got my computer). Liteon is the way to go.

Comment

Yamaha is a grab bag. I know people that have had them for years with no problem. My personal experience is that they die an early death, and have "issues" prior to that. Yamaha has worked hard to reduce the number of "issues", but you can always bet that some new media or protection will come out - liteon and plextor will handle it fine and yamaha will barf.

Just the way things go.

If you can't afford a Plextor, get a Liteon for half the price.

The liteons are so cheap, even if it burns out in a year you only spent half the money... so get another!

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm happy with my Liteon. So is my brother with his. So is my mate with his.

Cheap and reliable...
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
          I've had a Yamaha 4416S for ages, it's worked flawlessly until recently, when it's started to have problems burning to newer media at 1x speed. (Can CD-R media have a minimum burning speed?)
          Yes, CD-R media can have a minimum burning speed....

But if it's a 4416, then it's more likely that the laser is dying.
          MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
            Yamaha is a grab bag. I know people that have had them for years with no problem. My personal experience is that they die an early death, and have "issues" prior to that. Yamaha has worked hard to reduce the number of "issues", but you can always bet that some new media or protection will come out - liteon and plextor will handle it fine and yamaha will barf.

- Gurm
            Gurm, Yamaha have worked hard to make the newer drives good. Plex have gone the other way, (cheap & cheerful) (until recentley anyway -it looks like they are no longer ignoring the enthusiast section of the market)
            MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Well what do you guys think of me getting an older model (black) and flashing it to the new 52x speed? I have done some research and found that some older models of Lite On that will do it. It's just that I'm wondering if it will decrease it's life span because of the overclock. I'd be saving like 20 bucks. But I'd be able to get a black one. Worth it?
              System Specs:
              Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
              May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
              Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
              And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
              just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
              For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Who cares about x52 ??? Seriously, burning @ x24 and x32 is good enough for any home user.

Comment

Well remember, I'm thinking long term here. This computer has to last me 4 years at least without any upgrades (or very minor ones at that).
                  System Specs:
                  Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

Still, x32 is sufficient. Higher speed also means more tear and wear.

Comment

the problem with higher speed is that cheap cd players (especially car cd players) have more trouble to read them.
                      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Ugh...ok, let's say this then. I have 140 dollars to spend on a CD-RW drive (and the drive can be less than that, and in fact I'd rather it be less). What's the best to get within that price range if I burn a lot of music CDs and software CDs. Some games are over 700MB so I'd like it to overburn without a problem up to at least 800MB so I don't have to worry about any future problems.
                        System Specs:

Comment

BTW, here's the page I referred to earlier: http://www.medeainternational.com/info/90min.htm

Thanks for the 4416 tip William, it makes some sense given the symptoms I'm having.

Gurm, was your Yamaha experience a CDR400, or was it just in general? CDR400s developed problems quickly if they weren't very well cooled. (And who is that in your avatar? I assumed it was Neo from the Matrix, but now you've enlarged it I'm not so sure.)
                          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

most games that have .bin's that are 750mb in size still fit on a 700mb disk... there is some extra overhead in the .bin/.cue format (and even .iso's) that results in slightly larger file sizes

the only thing i can think of that wouldn't burn onto a 700mb disk is the first release of the leaked soldier of fortune 2 beta that was floating around... and thats cause they messed up the image...
                            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
                              BTW, here's the page I referred to earlier: http://www.medeainternational.com/info/90min.htm
                              Could have just looked at the fourth post of this thread to save you looking
                              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Well, I guess no one can answer my question, so I'll just get the Lite On 52x burner.
                                System Specs:

Comment

Working...
                                X