No announcement yet.

Ati and NV forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what version of XFree I have. The XFree page says that 4.2 supports Radeon cards under the "ati" driver but I don't see that option in the config proggie. I edited xf86config so that it would use the "ati" driver but all I get are errors no matter what. I should probably post my current XF86config.

So far *noone* has rplied to my thread over at rage3d. I think ati really needs some support forums like matrox has.
    -Prototype3a
    Asus A7V T-bird 950 Win2k pro
    Radeon 9000Pro 64mb SB-Live! 5.1 Adaptec 39160 Intel nic

Sorta missing my G400 Max :-\

Comment

Well if what vigil has been saying about matrox turning into a slave shop, it wouldn't surprise me if most of them have allready applied at ati. Check out ati's main page, to the right - "RECRUITMENT BLITZ"

Mebbe then we can see some good support coming out of ati.

CI

Comment

Originally posted by Prototype3a
        I don't know what version of XFree I have. The XFree page says that 4.2 supports Radeon cards under the "ati" driver but I don't see that option in the config proggie. I edited xf86config so that it would use the "ati" driver but all I get are errors no matter what. I should probably post my current XF86config.

So far *noone* has rplied to my thread over at rage3d. I think ati really needs some support forums like matrox has.
        Yeah but dude, we at *(M)URC* are all just a bunch of normal hombres who happen to like computers. We are lovingly called "enthusists" in computers. Like the mechanic to his car.

We get to know the products our there because we are an international group of people. Some company's don't exist in Canada while they do in Germany for example. And that is what makes us a highly knowledgable bunch of people, because we learn from each other.
        Last edited by ZokesPro; 12 November 2002, 22:51.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by Prototype3a
          Those people over at rage3d, the only thing they can help you with is to boost your score in 3dmark2k1...

Comment

THERE IS NO SUPPORT FOR 9000 UNDER LINUX/BSD YET!

Sorry for the bold&caps... just wait for XFree86 4.3 next month! (or may be Jan)

In the mean time, you can use vesa driver.

EDIT:
            Forgot to mention, XF86 csv version may also work. IIRC there is a changelog entry to do with 9000.
            Last edited by WyWyWyWy; 13 November 2002, 02:08.
            P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
            Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
            And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I suppose I'll be comming back then to find out how to upgrade it then. :-D can't wait.
              -Prototype3a

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Wheee X works (under the vesa driver) now if I could just get my mouse wheel to work
                  -Prototype3a

Comment

vesa...
                    slow redraw, limited res, limited refresh rate, no acceleration...

G400 still has the best linux support over the industry!!
                    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Sorry to disagree. I really hate to say it - but NVidia currently is the best choice for Linux users. Really working and really accelerated 2D AND 3D with stable drivers that are feature-wise nearly equivalent to the Windows ones.
                      Last edited by Indiana; 13 November 2002, 16:00.
                      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                      My System
                      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                      German ATI-forum

Comment

Not 3D accelerated on every GeForce though!
                        But I agree they are pretty good.

FreeBSD ain't too good atm... but looks like they are putting some effort in it.

Comment

Wywywywywy

The linux drivers are accelerated for every Geforce card :-)
                          80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

I found two links that seem to deal with the problem,
                            The first suggests to fool X into thinking you're using a R8500 instead of the 9000 and just use the 8500 drivers:

The second leads to a commercial X driver that's available for the Radeon9000, unfortunately this really costs quite some money:
                            Last edited by Indiana; 15 November 2002, 19:32.
                            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                            My System
                            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                            German ATI-forum

Comment

r8500 ain't to bad...but it only works in 24bit colour depths, and if you have a TV out attached/enabled your x-server won't start until you reboot without it.

I must say the nv one was easier to use, but the ATI one is adequate.(stable but...lack features)

Mandrake 9.0-> and my wireless MS Pro keyboard/mouse works as well..cool

Comment

Working...
                              X