SATA. When??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA. When??

Ok, SATA has been annouced for ages, I even own a MB with a Promise SATA raid controller on it. What good is it without HDD? I died of shock when I hit pricewatch, and saw the adapter to IDE for $35!!

Any clues as to when we will see SATA drives?
    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

when the chicken crossed the road
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Soon (tm).

Sorry, don't have a clue at the mo either, but I'm not too interested in SATA at the mo. I'd gather it's 1Q03 or something like that.

J1NG

Comment

Soonâ„¢

At least Seagate has already announced their Barracuda Serial ATA V. You can preorder it around the globe, so... It shouldn't take more than a few months

"One-year limited warranty"... Oh joy.

Comment

Don't know where from but I heard that...

Q103 - samples and early adoption
          Q203 - mass production
          Q104 - becomes popular... -_ -
          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Re: SATA. When??

Originally posted by Byock
            Ok, SATA has been annouced for ages, I even own a MB with a Promise SATA raid controller on it. What good is it without HDD? I died of shock when I hit pricewatch, and saw the adapter to IDE for $35!!

Any clues as to when we will see SATA drives?
            When I am ready, damn you!

Serial ATA will probably replace Parrellel ATA in the same way USB is replaceing serial and parrellel connections. (ie, very slowly)

In any case, I wouldn't wait with too much baited breath over serial ATA drives. They won't be any faster than the older variety.
            80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

If you want to make an easy transition to it and already have an SATA mobo - just buy the 200+gb 8mb cache HDs out there and attach the PATA->SATA adapter.

Comment

Re: Re: SATA. When??

Originally posted by rugger

In any case, I wouldn't wait with too much baited breath over serial ATA drives. They won't be any faster than the older variety.
                Doesn't matter to me...I just like it since theres less cabling to mess with inside of a computer...Stupid ribbon cables take up too much room...even when they are rounded
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by isochar
                  If you want to make an easy transition to it and already have an SATA mobo - just buy the 200+gb 8mb cache HDs out there and attach the PATA->SATA adapter.
                  I just don't see the point.

Remember, the 200GB 7,200 rpm 8MB buffer hard drive from Western Digital has an Ultra ATA/100 interface.

So it's not like its going to be a whole lot faster just because you connect it to your motherboard using SATA.

The only real benefit that I can see to using that type of setup is that you are getting rid of the rather large PATA cables so the case interior looks cleaner and you'll get better airflow.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: SATA. When??

Originally posted by GT98

Doesn't matter to me...I just like it since theres less cabling to mess with inside of a computer...Stupid ribbon cables take up too much room...even when they are rounded
                    True,

Just use the PATA to SATA converters then.
                    80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

The reason I wanted to use it was the RAID controller. It ONLY supports 1 IDE, and 2 SATA. So to set up a raid 0 I would need:

A) A new RAID controller
                      B) 2 SATA Drives
                      C) IDE Drives with $60 worth of Adapters....

Not a very good solution....
                      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Probably most of you ppl know already...

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 with SATA, 7200rpm, 8MB Buffer, 200GB........ ***meanwhile i am using a UATA100 40GB....***

Comment

That Maxtor is just a normal IDE drive with a built-in PATA->SATA converter. The only manufacturer that is coming out with true SATA drives is Seagate.

Comment

Acctually all manufacturers will be coming out with SATA native drives... i know WD has already demoed alpha products, and of course seagate and fujitsu have as well... its just a matter of time...

if you are looking for the highest performance wait for the SATA native controllers and drives, as all current motherboards use a PATA->SATA converter on them, and the drives would need an SATA->PATA converter... thats some latency you are adding in there...
                            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Hmm.... I already have SATA on my morherboard, and I'm waiting to by another IDE drive untill SATA drives apear on the market.....

Comment

Working...
                              X