No announcement yet.

2400 XP worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well to be honest I' am generally happy with the performance of windows and apps but I would like to speed up games so do you think I would be better holding off updating my cpu to a later date? and going sound card route instead?

Comment

Umm...going from a 1600+ to a 2400+, if your mobo supports it, will easily give you more gaming performance than swapping in an Audigy for a Live.
      IMHO, there is very little difference, aside from marketing, between a Live and an Audigy. The quality of the sound is roughly identical (I use digital outputs) and the performance difference is negligible (although EAX2 on the Audigy invariably causes stuttering in some games like JKII). They are both good cards, but personally, I would not buy one as an upgrade to the other.

Comment

but do you think I would notice a bigger difference updating to a good cpu as oppose to updating the sound card?
        Last edited by 3dfx; 6 December 2002, 15:34.

Comment

Get Terratec DM6 fire and some kickarse speakers.

I recommend upgrading CPUs either once every 6-12 months and reselling your old CPU or every 3-5 years. Upgrading every 2-3 years is most expensive. So go for it, you won't see the OMG jump, but everything will feel faster and you cen resell 1600+ for more than you'll be able in a year.

Comment

You might. But it all depends on how you use your system.
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Instead of upgrading the speed... what about upgrading features?

Like printer, scanner, speakers, Live Drive, TV card, new case, etc.
              P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
              Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                No, I don't think you'd notice. Actually, for the money, you'd probably do better by upgrading your Live! to an Audigy. Better sound quality, better built, more features, and should take more load off of the CPU than you'd gain from upgrading the processor.
                Actually, just pull the Live and use the onboard audio on the NV7-133R with the latest 2.0 drivers from NVidia....
                Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I don't think you'll get much for a 1600+, seeing as a new one is $55 shipped, and $65 gets you a retail 1700+
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

$10 ????
                    If you playing chess a faster cpu helps you get crushed a bit quicker.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

With the onboard audio is it likely I will notice a difference that the worthwhile? as I tried it before and it was good but it didn't work with Gamevoice a tool I use

Comment

but do you think I would notice a bigger difference updating to a good cpu as oppose to updating the cpu?
                        You sure are

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I didn't understand that bit either but I thought it was the strong cider I'm drinking.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Sorry guys, I'm suffering from what is called lack of sleep syndrome ..lol I meant to say sound card Greebe m8

Comment

m8 is that a new motorway???
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

How much of a difference in performance does the sound card make if you don't use 3D audio?

Comment

Working...
                                X