a pcmcia firewire card ? fast enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a pcmcia firewire card ? fast enough?

I am interested in for my 1.8ghz toshiba celeron notebook (it only has pcmcia expansion slots and USB 1.1)

my only question is - does a PCMCIA slot match the performance of a firewire? I am concerned that PCMCIA ports are not as fast as a "true" firewire port - is that true - or do they transfer about the same speed? or will I take a big performance hit with transferring DV footage?

thanks !

They should be able to get you the 50mb/s you need for firewire...

On the laptop, HD speed will be more of a limitation...
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Tell me if I'm wrong but I thought that pcmcia pretty much plugged straight into the pci bus... so if a PCI card works this should.
      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

PCMCIA is almost a PCI slot, so transfer speed should not be a problem, if you have a newer laptop with a 32bit PCMCIA slot.
        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

thanks - the specs are

IntelĀ® CeleronĀ® processor 1.8GHz

256MB SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 512MB

15" TFT active-matrix display

30.0GB EIDE hard drive

DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive

nVidia GeForce4 420 Go graphics controller, with 16MB video memory, AGP support and 3D graphics accelerator; TV-out

Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN

Comment

I agree with everyone here, I do have a firewire card in my PCMCIA slot w/ an external drive connected to it, and it works like a charm

Comment

Working...
            X