Windows 98SE vs. WinXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 98SE vs. WinXP

I have this computer I'm upgrading for a friend of mine with the following specs

Some sort of Crappy 440BX Chipset with no AGP
    Celeron 300A....Hopefully upgrading to a P2-450Mhz
    13GB Hard Drive
    Trying to get a PCI G200 to put in to it
    92MB Ram....Adding another 128MB Stick to it
    DVD-ROM drive to replace the old ass 4x CD-ROM drive it has now.

I orginally was just going to install Win98SE, but With the $120 bucks or so I'm spending on upgrades on it for him (Computer is going to be used by his Mom and Sister for Internet etc) I was thinking maybe Windows XP might be a better choice. Any suggestions on what to use?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

I wouldn't instll WinXP unless you have atleast 256MB memory.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I guess to put it into perspective here is my system specs (I am upgrading sometime around February... gotta love income tax returns):

P2 350MHz
      256MB RAM
      60GB HDD, 10GB HDD
      GeForce2 Ti 64MB
      40x CD-ROM, 40x12x48x CD-RW
      Windows XP Professional

I should note that I was running with only 128MB for awhile (had a DIMM module go bad), and of course the nvidia card is only temporary To give you an idea of what kind of stress my system is under I routinely have Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Visual Studio 6/.NET, Mozilla, IE, Trillian, and Outlook running with some other odd programs in process. I rarely have any major slowdown, and when I do it is usually in Photoshop when I'm working with an image in 300+dpi.
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

GT98, add 256 instead of 128 if you can, then run WinXP on it. WinXP runs fine on P-II class processors, and beats the living snot out of Win98SE.

If you can't get the extra ram, then WinXP will be a little more sluggish, but it should still be usable.

A fast video card is a big plus too.
        80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

I'm running PII@466 with NT 4.0 and will switch to 2k with new drive (I could now but what's the rush when NT and 9SE do what I expect from them).

I'd not put XP on that system. 2k, NT or 98SE If I had to.

Comment

What is that thing currently running? If it is W95, why not stick with that?
            Umf
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Celeron 300A? Howa bout OCing it???!!!

Also, you may want to consider a HDD upgrade...a nice, fast HDD can make an old machine feel a lot faster.

But with those specs, I'd go with 98SE or win2k.

Comment

I think you need XP only when you need best support for asian languages on this system. If you want NTFS, then install 2K. If you need none of these, Windows98SE is absolutely a better choice. If you install XP and later even OfficeXP on this system, they could be very slow and quite instable. You WILL see it.

Comment

Bah! I have Windows XP running on a Thinkpad, P2 266, 228 Ram. Runs great. Never had a prob with speed. I say go for it!
                  "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Yeah, just turn off all those extra 'effects' and your good to go.
                    Titanium is the new bling!
                    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Sadly, I have all the effects turned on.
                      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

It's funny that so many people might say that you shouldn't put XP on your system, yet Byock and I have similiar, if not lesser, systems that are running XP fine, if not great.

I do have alot of the effects turned off, except for a few things including themes.
                        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

win2k , and I guess winxp like CPU cache and memory....I was VERY suprised how well a p2 (512k cache) with 256mb ram runs win2k....A lot better than a celeron 300a at 450

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                            win2k , and I guess winxp like CPU cache and memory....I was VERY suprised how well a p2 (512k cache) with 256mb ram runs win2k....A lot better than a celeron 300a at 450
                            Nope, Haven't see that at all.

Given sufficent ram (256 meg) a celeron A runs W2k and WXP just as well as a P-II
                            80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

GT-98

Bx chipset and crappy should not be said together :>)
                              Also BX chipsets come with an AGP port. Are you sure its BX? If it is then MOVE that celeron to 100mhz fsb and do the 450 dance. Most all will do 450 at stock voltage if not up it a little.

Marshmallowman-
                              I'll put up a 450 celeron A against that old P2 450 with its half speed cache any day.
                              Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

Working...
                              X