• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL, no comment on that one
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
      If you are a filthy rich billionaire because your software company is a monopoly, you are scum if you whine about people with very limited means downloading warez of your software. Yes, it's stealing, but that's just desserts for the gross inequity you have perpetrated. You have enough dullards with cash who buy your crap, so just shut up about it.
      Whoa! Wasn't expecting that kind of response! Must have touched a nerve. I do agree. High ducks behind various large objects in the forum in case KvHagedorn starts throwing things.

Comment

p.s. not everyone who buys software is a dullard.. sorry if that was implied. There are gross inequities involved though. If MS is making the kind of profits it does, it is charging way more than it has to for its product. If it is charging way more than it has to, it must be because it can charge this. It can charge this because it is a monopoly which has been de facto sanctioned by the government.

Is anyone really sad to see the poor velociraptors finally devoured in Jurassic Park? Not unless you are some sort of sadistic prick that wants to see those people get killed.. MS is like a velociraptor with no controls put upon it.

Even aside from MS, most of the software industry makes huge profits. There is very little expense involved besides salaries.. The only raw materials consumed are Pepsi and Doritos.

I'm not saying it is necessarily bad to make money, but when you whine about a few people "stealing" your product when it really cost you very little to produce, and you are making money hand over fist anyhow, it is, to say the least, crass to complain about it.

Comment

especially when they use the huge profits from their established monopolies to create new monopolys.

Comment

I have free/bundeled software, or versions of the bundled software that will work across products.
            ie i have Nero for 3 burners. So i "acquired" a version i could use with all burners.
            Windows...eeh. quite.
            Other than that, i do have some "other" software, but strangely i don't have it installed.
            I'm not even sure why i have it. I guess its just "In case" i need it.
            Come to think of it, the only company i'm screwing slightly is MS.
            Win2kPro. I don't like XP personally. Had quite a few niggling probs at the start, and just gave it the finger.
            Longhorn looks cool tho, and i'm not sure we'll be able to borrow that one...

Damned, when i look, i'm pretty clean! (never would have thought it)

edit: I got the 4cd Half life set, it rocks. well worth the cash.
            i didn't have any versions of HL, so all bonus!
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

You're kidding...right??
              "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

I wasn't really sad to see the raptors killed, only disappointed because the big stupid t-rex did it. and as for the people getting killed, they would have deserved it in a way (really stupid to clone dinosaurs and let them get lose), especially laura dern who i dont like at all).

as for buying software, some i buy, some i copy, it all depends on the price in relation to its usefullnes for me.

Comment

I just tend to test the software for a year or so, I always end up buying it in the end though.

Not unless you are some sort of sadistic prick that wants to see those people get killed.
                  I must be a sadistic prick then.

Comment

I have no problems paying for software that I use. I like to get the Warez version first, since most software I try, hate it, delete it. However If I buy a game, I don't buy a copy for my 2 other machines.

Why buy 3 copies to play it? seems stupid to me.

Just my .02
                    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

I don't make enough money to buy ANY software, it's all too bloody expensive.
                      Titanium is the new bling!
                      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                        I don't make enough money to buy ANY software, it's all too bloody expensive.
                        Exactly.

As for those people getting killed..

Sam Neill.. no way, he was the only voice of reason.

Laura Dern.. strident feminist tendencies but she wanted to have kids.. hmm.. tossup there.. she was kinda annoying and I don't really like her either, so let her get stepped on and slobbered on and slightly stabbed with that big claw so she would be a bit more humble and circumspect, but she can survive

Jeff Goldblum.. what a sleaze.. feed him to the dinos!

Richard Attenborough.. well, it was basically all his fault so he shoulda gone down with the ship, damned money grubber

Ariana Richards.. cute geek girl in process of becoming a hottie.. gotta save her!

Joseph Mazello.. annoying little goober, but he suffered enough on the fence. He can get outta there, but must retain that severe limp.

Comment

Any software that I've found useful I've bought. Although I've put many of those programs aside to use open source alternatives. Not saying I haven't used copied software, just they usually end up getting discarded or phased out eventually. Although I really don't think getting ripped off by buying software, music, movies at outrageous prices makes a person better than those who decide to download. It's up to each individual to decide if the creator deserves to get paid for their work. In some instances, such as record companies, it is debatable to how much the artist/creator actually sees.

Also there are those in countries where paying for software would eat up half of their yearly salary. OSS is starting to remedy this, but is it really bad for some person to pirate software for purely educational reasons when otherwise they couldn't afford it?

Half-Life was worth every penny, many, many hours of enjoyment (especially since I got it in a buy one, get another free deal). Although most of the fun was due to mod developers outside of Valve. Front Line Force!!!

Back on topic...
                          The characters were much better defined in the book. If I recall correctly pretty much everyone dies except for Sam Neill, er, Grant.

I had a problem with the T. Rex getting the raptors. Being a minor dino geek, the T. Rexs are way overhyped. New studies suggest they could only go about 11 MPH, not 45, because it would take some way too massive legs to run with that much weight.
                          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I simply cannot afford to buy the software I use. My current university offers a lot of them free but there are some packages that are BLOODY expensive.

Comment

I tested Win95 for 3 years before deciding against buying it, which I felt was a bit unfair. So with Windows 98 I cut my testing down to 2 years. I've been testing Windows 2000 for 2 years now, and I'm now testing Win2000 with SP3 for the forseeable future
                              Meet Jasmine.
                              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I buy games. If a utility is useful, I buy it.

I own licenses for most of my MS stuff. *shrug*

Didn't pay full price for most of it though...

- Gurm
                                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                                If only life were as easy as you
                                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                                If only life were as easy as you
                                I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                                X