No announcement yet.

underclocking an old pentium 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose you could heat a fairly large swimming pool (in Moscow, in January) with that...

Comment

thop, there certainly is 70ns EDO memory. I have a bunch of the crap at work sitting in a pile.

Anyway, as mentioned an 80mm fan should be fine to replace the bad one in the PS. OR you can just but a new cheapo 200w or so AT supply. Just be careful when hooking up the power switch to get the polarities correct.

Comment

well, I managed to get the machine up and running, with spareparts from other old computers.

It plays dosgames quite nice, I have completed "heretic" and "shadow caster" so far.

however the computer is very noisy, so my original question still stands, (the one about underclocking).
        I plan to underclock the hell out of it, and see if it would be possible to replace the fans with passive cooling. (dosgames doesn´t NEED 200mhz anyway ).

my question is: would it be possible to replace the cpu-fan with a fanless heatsink(and what kind of heatsink should i use for a socket 7 cpu?), if I underclock it to 66mhz(or even 50mhz, if I underclock the bus too) or is that just too crazy?

another question: does fanless PSU´s exist, and if so can they work with an AT-case?

the computer supports powersaving, which means the harddisk turns off after a minute, so the harddisk is a non-issue(especially because I have 64mb ram, which is enough for every dos-game).

Is it possible to make this computer 100% silent? what do you think?

edit: just found this: http://www.silentmaxx.de/nt_prosilence_fanless.php
        it is just too expensive
        can an ATX PSU work in an AT case with an old pentium, I mean are ATX PSU´s backwards compatible?
        Last edited by TdB; 30 May 2003, 08:47.
        This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Zalman 8cm silent fan that you attach on top of the pci/isa slots. depending where the cpu is, there's probably a way to turn the fan in such a way that it'd blow air on it.

Comment

well, I was actually thinking of a completely fanless system...

just to see if it was possible...
            Last edited by TdB; 30 May 2003, 10:42.

Comment

Originally posted by TdB
              (dosgames doesn´t NEED 200mhz anyway ).
              It's not all that high for EF2000
              Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Originally posted by TdB
                can an ATX PSU work in an AT case with an old pentium, I mean are ATX PSU´s backwards compatible?
                I think the screw locations are the same, so if the motherboard is ATX then that would be fine. But then I don't think an ATX motherboard will fit in an AT case, so I think the answer to what you're asking is no.

Damn you, now I've confused myself.

Comment

the motherboard is an old AT motherboard, just as the case is an old AT-case.
                  the reason I asked is because I think a fanless AT PSU might be hard to find.

it is just an old pentium

BTW, it doesn´t have to be pretty, so the actual question is: will an ATX PSU work with an AT motherboard,(does it have the right plugs?).
                  I can live with an "external PSU", but a PSU that fits inside the case would be preferable.
                  Last edited by TdB; 30 May 2003, 11:14.

Comment

Oh, in that case no. ATX PSUs won't work with AT boards.

Comment

so I will have to mod the AT PSU myself?

is that doable?

it sounds kinda risky...
                      Last edited by TdB; 30 May 2003, 11:18.

Comment

It is doable, but risky. And Ribbit is quite right, ATX power supplys have a single honeycomb power connector, while AT have 2 smaller connectors.
                        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

hmm, looks like my experiment will require some serious research...

BTW, I just discovered that it actually have EDO ram, don´t know the speed yet.
                          Last edited by TdB; 30 May 2003, 11:47.

Comment

I don't see why you'd need to underclock, they don't produce that much heat. I had a K62-380 run with a puny heatsink and the fan unplugged for years before I even noticed it was "fanless"...

Comment

hmm, my idea was that an underclocked CPU didn´t draw as much power from the PSU, which would allow me to make the PSU fanless too.

Comment

A P200 doesn't draw that much power, I would guess less than ~20W or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X