Moving to Win2K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's see...

On my machine, the login screen for WinXP appears in 15 SECONDS.

Win2k - about a minute. Whoopie, right?

I get a lot more speed on games, the whole machine just runs snappier... not to mention the better drivers.

Why does it blue screen? Simple - they let the drivers get a little closer to the hardware. That ALWAYS entails a bit of trouble. But frankly, OTHER than nVidia and/or ATI driver crashes, I've NEVER seen a blue screen on XP.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
      not to mention the better drivers.

Why does it blue screen? Simple - they let the drivers get a little closer to the hardware. That ALWAYS entails a bit of trouble. But frankly, OTHER than nVidia and/or ATI driver crashes, I've NEVER seen a blue screen on XP.

- Gurm
      um... the driver that crashed XP on me the first time i installed it was microsofts own that came with XP.....

and I have never ever seen an Win200 driver chrash Windows 2000.

But I have too often seen ms signed drivers chrash XP.....
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I've seen the Matrox G400 drivers crash Win2k because it was running at an AGP speed which was too high for it to be used stably (2x vs. 1x). On WinXP however, in exactly the same situation, the OS didn't crash, but reverted back to the default VGA driver, which allowed me to close all programs/safe work, and reboot to force the AGP speed to a safer setting.

And that was with WHQL drivers for the G400.

so that cancels out your experience?

Comment

Just an aside, but it's "crash"

Wow, having to explain that to a geek. Guess everyone can spell BSOD by now?
          Meet Jasmine.
          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Erm, it was a joke, apologies
            Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
              Plus xp comes wit IE6 and vhere the hell is mediaplayer 6.4?
              GO to START : RUN and type in mplayer2.exe
              that will give you mediaplayer 6.4 on XP.
              Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
              MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
              Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
              Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Ah, so same place as Windows 2000 then
                Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Working...
                X