Rant about my XP installation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant about my XP installation.

I have reinstalled XP recently to as i have had a major hardware change (dual CPU's and a few other bits and bobs). The OS could have done with a clean out anyway

I am getting infrequent BSODs. IRQ not less than or equal, Windows has found a problem with win32.sys, windows has found a problem... blahh blahh blahh.

Do you guys find that you get good installs and bad installs???

Sometimes it works, and othertimes i get a POS that i have to format and start again.

I dont know what i am doing wrong. I install in the following order...

I install XP pro corp.
    Apply SP1 and patches.
    Graphics card
    Sound card
    Other hardware

Oh well, time to start again.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Hmm, no. I don't necessarily find that. I'd be suspect of a particular patch. What are you installing OTHER than the WinXP core install? Be specific.

Also, I'd go to the trouble to slipstream SP1. You'll be glad you did.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Patch wise, I'm not sure... I pretty much tell it to get the lot and leave it to it... perhaps i should just put on SP1 and leave the rest???

I could do with building a slipstream cd. I'll do that now

I must have had 6 BSODs today
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

OK, rebuilt SP1'd and i have put the latest drivers for my 8500DV on. I am using the stock M$ Live! drivers for now (Gurm: should i change that?).

Now I seem to get problems when i update XP, should i just apply the critical patches????

Comment

Hrm. Yeah, start with the critical patches.

Leave the MS Live drivers, and once you're stable upgrade to the Audigy 2 drivers of course.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Are the Audigy drivers better than the stock MS drivers???
            I get the odd (1 every 20mins or so) skip in playback during times of high load...

Comment

Hmmm, pull that sound card and see what happens.

me no trust creative sound cards.

Comment

He was warned before: http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39143
                Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Yes, I look at the patch, usually (in my experience) the installation is fine, but after a patch update the os starts to go... good luck with it!!

~Sethos
                  "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

With the Creative drivers it skips every few seconds.
                    With the M$ drivers it skips every 20mins or so.
                    With the Audigy drivers it skips every 20mins or so.

Comment

You've mentioned your high CPU temperatures in another thread - perhaps you need to do something about that?
                      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Working...
                      X