Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Audio Player? Plugins? Best High Birate File Sharing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is the hoopla surrounding ASIO. Is it important to normal users, or really to people connecting musical instruments to the computer? I think my soundcard is supposed to have decent ASIO or summat
    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I don't think ASIO is supposed to have "higher quality", it is just lower latency, isn't it?
      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I use Creative MediaCenter that comes with the Audigy 2...but with my Audigy 1. CMS is really nice for SoundBlaster users.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Well, I guess no one uses Foobar. You guys might be interested in it though. You can get it here. Use the Kernal Streaming plugin, is as good as ASIO. I'm having a hard time deciding between Foobar with Kernal Streaming and Winamp with MAD + ASIO.
          System Specs:
          Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
          May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
          Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
          And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
          just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
          For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Originally posted by DentyCracker
            what is the hoopla surrounding ASIO. Is it important to normal users, or really to people connecting musical instruments to the computer? I think my soundcard is supposed to have decent ASIO or summat
            I think ASIO does the same thing as Kernal Streaming: direct kernal upload of audio stream to the audio card. Sound is less distorted with this method, and most people think it sounds better. IMO it does, but the difference is small--noticeable, but small.
            System Specs:
            Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

Also they allow you to bypass the EVIL kmixer.dll...
              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I use a variety of players to play stuff. I must say I am not overly impressed by winamp + mad plugin, although it does sound slightly better than wmp9. (I really can't stand the square winamp look, but I digress). I find that sonique2 alpha sounds a tad better. The best sound I have heard is from gratisaudio, but the interface leaves a lot to be desired. (Tony can't be arsed to program it most of the time) Creative mediasource player is great for adding effects, like CMSS and CMSS2 to divx files, but doesn't full screen them properly
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2

Comment

i dunno about you guys, but windows media player 9 is fine for me
                  Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                  Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Well....Media Player 9 is ok, but it's too much if you know what I mean (too bulky, too many features I don't care to use, etc). I'll use it sometimes though. SRS enhancements are great, but for some songs the distortion doesn't do em justice. Basically I'm just looking for the cleanest sound out there, and looks like it's a tie between Foobar with Kernal Streaming and WinAmp + MAD + ASIO. I'll try some of the other players recommended though.
                    System Specs:

Comment

Foobar, in my experience, makes things sound... umm... different. I've heard people try to explain HOW it makes things sound, but I don't like it.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Well Foobar seems to define highs a bit better, but I'm not sure if the highs are more distorted, or if it really is just that much clearer. I still can't decide which player I like better.
                        System Specs:

Comment

My main problem with WMP8 and above is that once I've installed any video editing stuff on my machine (vegas, MSP, Premiere) it takes 14 seconds to start up on a machine with 512 MB RAM (was just as bad with 768)
                          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R

Comment

Yeah. WMP is a hog because it tries to load in ALL the video stuff, not just the stuff it needs to play the current file. Now, if they could just make Winamp dock to the taskbar...

- Gurm
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

foobar here. it's great
                              especially when playing mpc files (try it, this are really near cd quality, and not some silly mp3), although with mpc plugin winamp 2.xx is also ok

Comment

MAD plugin does, in fact, suck. unless you listen to 8bit mp3s. mpg123 is what MAD was supposed to be. the default winamp one is good enough for everyone anyway.

btw. if you got desktop speakers, even some fancy 5.1, all plugins on this world won't help.
                                Last edited by thop; 24 January 2003, 15:15.
                                no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Working...
                                X