10.000 rpm ide drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roark,

That's nice. I've been a pretty vocal opponent of the SATA zealots on here since... it was first announced. We've been hearing FOREVER that it'll be "on every motherboard worth anything" by "the end of... <pick a time frame>".

Guess what? None yet. Not on the SiS746FX from IWill (which has everything ELSE but the kitchen sink), not on a board from ASUS... not anywhere.

Additionally, even speeds such as ATA166 are stupid bordering on retarded. The drive can't deliver more than 30MB/sec. sustained. SOME drives might deliver as much as ... oh ... 45MB/sec. sustained. The really fast ones. That's IT. With two drives per channel, ATA100 is more than fast enough, even if the drives can deliver 50MB/sec. sustained - but none can.

I too would like to see 10k RPM IDE drives in a REAL standard that I can REALLY buy TODAY.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

However, I wouldn't complain if an SATA controller were to find its way into my hands - so long as I can use my old drives and whatnot... and there weren't ATAPI problems...

The smaller cables are sure nice.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
        Roark,

That's nice. I've been a pretty vocal opponent of the SATA zealots on here since... it was first announced. We've been hearing FOREVER that it'll be "on every motherboard worth anything" by "the end of... <pick a time frame>".
        - Gurm

I guess you mean not built into south bridge. Plenty of motherboards have them but all feed onto the pci bus.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Pace
          5 year warranties...nice
          That will come bundled with a hefty price tag for sure. I guess these drives are basically SCSI drives with a SATA connector.
          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Originally posted by thop
            That will come bundled with a hefty price tag for sure. I guess these drives are basically SCSI drives with a SATA connector.
            If they are it's bye bye scsi I bet.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

That depends. I have yet to delve deeply into SATA enough to see if the other benefits of SCSI are present in the SATA standard.

- Gurm

Comment

Whats the deal with SATA and CD Drives? I haven't read into SATA too much but I want since its smaller cable and less shit to culter up inside my next PC
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

We're not too far from the start of the traditional window for new optical drive announcements. However in the past these have usually also given speed increases (not going to happen for CDs this year, although DVDs look to be following the pattern fairly well though). I expect Sanyo to be showing a SATA chipset soon. Via (Pioneer) & Ali we can reasonably expect to sync their optical chipsets with their other chipset lines, so that should give some clues.

Plain CD drives are likely to take a bit longer to go SATA, as they're mostly made by the stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap mob. Expect some bodge jobs though, with SATA-PATA converter chips soldered onto the drives PCB...

And now my crystal ball has gone all murky.
                  MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

I don't think it's the drives as much as it's the controllers. Even my Promise TX2 doesn't do ATAPI.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Almost all board manufactureres have SATA equipped boards asus has a7V8x, a7n8x for AMD and the P4s8x for intel.

And their are plenty of SATA cards available, mostly expensive but I have seen some cheap $50 AU based on the Silicon image chipset.
                      (some bundled with PATA to SATA converters)

But no SATA HDD available with 3 year warranty's that sux

SATA does support CD,DVD etc but It will be a while before they start popping up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                        I don't think it's the drives as much as it's the controllers. Even my Promise TX2 doesn't do ATAPI.
                        Is that the 133 or the 100? Don't a lot of CD-ROMs support UDMA 33? I know promise cards don't support CD-ROMs but they are not supposed to. THey tell you to leave them on the motherboard. I've even used zip drives on the cards so at least the ultra66s and the ultra100s can use Atapi.

Comment

Does anyone know about the cpu utilisation of SATA? Is it the same as parallel ATA?
                          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

It's supposed to be less.
                            By how much I don't know, do a google search for the Baracuda SATA reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                              Mine does but doesn't like it under Winxp. No problems under 98. The TX133 seems to have no problem under my other computer running 2k but now the drive is dvd scsi as back up for my other computer.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X